Need quick answer! B code mod springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Need quick answer! B code mod springs

Alright, so I am doing the B code mod on the rear springs for the Excursion, and have run into a question. People have said take the overload off the new springs and get rid of them. My question is: which overload? It has a top and bottom. The bottom is just the flat think piece, whereas the top is the one that uses a bracket with a snubber on the frmae (of which I do not have since it is an Ex). My Ex has the "half length" spring with snubber mounted on it as an overload/ axle wrap stop. It looks similar to the slapper bars, but is a leaf.

Which overload do I use??? I am out working on it now, so could use any help I could get. I will check back, or feel free to give me a call to save typing.

xxx-xx-xxxx
Thank you in advance!!!

Mod:

Take the two shortest leaves from the Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring packs between the shortest leaf and the bottom overload leaf on the B codes.
Remove the sheet metal spacers of the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the Ex springs.
The centering bolt from the B codes, if they came from a set with the top overloadspring pack should be long enough to hold the modified B code spring packs together. If not a set of longer center bolts will be needed.

Use 2 large C clamps to both hold the spring packs together and for reasembly.
Use a long driff pin to aline the springs as you tighten the C clamps before you install the center pin. Do not use the center pin to align or to tighten the springs...use the driff pin and the C clamps!"

Last edited by Squid4life; 04-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I started the spring mod yesterday but ran into a question. CaryT said to sell the extra overloads:

"You need the top overload springs, you will not use it but need the longer center pins, resell the extra parts."

But I was curious if I needed to use the bottom overload in the new pack. Also, do I still use the "slapper bar" half leaf that has a snubber on it. I currently have both in (on one side) and hand tight in the truck, and the height is just about perfect, but my new U bolts are too short. I would assume Ford sells longer U bolts so hopefully I can get them ASAP since I am moving this week and need the truck. If it is good to go, then I will find the u bolts. If I need to take the overload out, then the u bolts I have will work (but truck will drop 1/2 to 3/4").

Please let me know what you think guys, I am stuck right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.