New 05 Eddie Bauer 6.0L 4X4 Owner! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 05 Eddie Bauer 6.0L 4X4 Owner!

Hey all, just picked up my new Excursion, been looking awhile to find one in great condition and found one today. Paid 26K for it and I know never buy the extended warranty but I picked up a 4/48000 mile one for 3K. Here is a link to it.

Cars for Sale: 2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer in Orange, CA 92865: Sport Utility Details - 275566927 - AutoTrader.com

The steering is loose so I am going to take it in and have them check it out, but other then that it runs great. I was thinking of putting the Edge on it but wanted to check with you all first to see if there was something better out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Chris, sweet looking ex and welcome to the org! It's one of the cleanest ones I have seen, and I am sure it is a blast to drive. For tuning the 6.0, I have heard bad things about Edge because it doesn't tune the trans. The way to go with the 6.0 is an SCT with custom tunes from either Eric @ Innovative Diesel or Matt @ Gearhead Automotive. Makes awesome power and they are custom to your set up to make sure everything is working together. Along with this you might want to get a gauge set-up to monitor everything. You can find more info in the "6.0 performance parts" section on the forum. Have fun, and I hope i could shed some light!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandring View Post
Hey all, just picked up my new Excursion, been looking awhile to find one in great condition and found one today. Paid 26K for it and I know never buy the extended warranty but I picked up a 4/48000 mile one for 3K. Here is a link to it.

Cars for Sale: 2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer in Orange, CA 92865: Sport Utility Details - 275566927 - AutoTrader.com

The steering is loose so I am going to take it in and have them check it out, but other then that it runs great. I was thinking of putting the Edge on it but wanted to check with you all first to see if there was something better out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris
Congrats and welcome! That is a very clean looking EX. You might try tightening the steering box nut yourself before going to have it worked on. I just bought a 2000 Ex a week or so ago. There is nut with an allen head bolt on top of the steering box. Loosen the nut and and tighten the allen by hand to you feel it stop then back it up a 1/4 of a turn, then tighten the nut back down and go for a test drive. It made a world of difference on mine.

I sold a 06' F250 with the 6.0L and had a SCT 3015 on it with the tunes that came on the programmer. It gave the truck more power, monster torque & better fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of the gas, lol. The SCT 3015 comes with 3 tunes, Performance, Street and Tow, plus you can adjust shifts, etc.

I put the SCT on my 7.3L & it has give me better throttle response and fuel economy.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 05 Ex steering feels a bit loose too, tends to wander.

Congrats on the Ex, I have had mine for almost a month now and love it. The first diesel fillup was a shocker but the size, power and comfort all make up for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends on what you are looking to do with the "Edge" product. Has anything else been done to the truck, that you know of? What is your end goal? I have the new Edge CTS, which you can get custom tunes for, but I don't use it as a programmer. It is essentially an expensive, colorful, insight. I went that route for the backup camera support for the wife. I do recommend some sort of gages before you do too much.

Otherwise, congrats on your purchase, great looking X.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 PM

I put a SCT Livewire on mine. I got it with the egt kit. I'm still running the canned tunes. The street tune is my favorite for power-economy-egt.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

I plan to lift it 6 inch's add an exhaust with probly the edge. until the warranty falls off.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
back to business

Edge is no more warranty friendly than SCT

I (and about 90% of other tuned 6.0 owners) would highly suggest SCT with some custom tunes. More power, better fuel economy and WAY better for the trans.

There are tons of 6.0 owners on here that have experience with multiple tuners (edge, bullydog, banks, superchip, quadzilla, ect) most all are now running SCT, There is a reason for that
Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
07Outlaw has a valid point that many people successfully run the SCT. I won't run mine as a programmer, or an SCT, because that is not the direction I want to go with my truck. I am not concerned with crazy power, but rather stability. You cannot always have both. I have chosen a conservative approach with my truck, as it is mostly stock.

That and I want the stock HG's to last a while longer. That has probably been more of a driving factor. Some guys have had great luck with the edge, some not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.