03 EX coughs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 03 EX coughs

I hve been getting the same type of coughing that I read other people complain about. My EX 6.0 will get this hiccup sound when doing speeds on the highway considered just cruising anything 70 - 80, with revs around 2000. As soon as the highway goes a little incline or i want to pick up just another notch of speed it coughs, spits out puffs of black smoke then settles down.
someone on another thread said it was normal..no way. feels like a miss and it has been progressively getting worse. now yesterday my wife tells me she tried something ( wish i thought of it she's not going to live it down) she had to do a two hour trip down to Glassboro on open highway and when the truck started coughing my wife tried to put it in cruise control and low and behold! it never coughed, bucked, spit, missed the entire time on CC. she hit the brake to get out of CC and it started again.
So can someone tell me if there is a throttle position sensor, actuator, gizmo from your foot pedal that the CC doesn't use? I think this will solve mine and many other peoples problem if it is just some sending unit or component at my foot pedal, it does seem like it is an electrical problem?? help i can fix almost anything but I have 0 experience with PSD s.. help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hello?? anybody out there got any ideas??
Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I’m not to familiar with the pedal assembly and I’m only speculating, but isn’t there a pedal positioning sensor?

Im just thinking out loud.

I would run by Ford and get a parts diag of the pedal assembly.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
There should be two sets of sensors in the pedal that are redundant (if one fails, the other takes over). You may be having some issues with your accelerator pedal. I'd start by scanning the computer and checking for codes. If that doesn't tell you anything, I'd try and capture some live data from the pedal itself and make sure that it's functioning properly. If you don't have an AE, try to find someone who does and borrow it for a couple of hours.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well, i wanted to make sure before i went down the wrong path so I had my wife try it again on a good stretch of highway that changes grade. sure enough even when it is in cruise control the bucking and coughing was there. so i think that I should stick to my original thoughts on this and look into egr and turbo cleaning issues, possible FICM repair. i have a long weekend off and will be working on it at least two of the days. i will keep you all posted and thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Typical of a 6.0 turbo ..drive it hard and get a SCT with Cales tunes..cured mine 99% of the time
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My Ex was doing exactly the same thing. It was the egr valve. I tried cleaning it but that didn't help. A new valve fixed the problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea, I saw your thread scottinal, i think i may go down that path because cleaning it did make a huge difference for a couple weeks. thnks i'll keep you all posted. tomorrow or friday is going to be a long day. or maybe not.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up update

just so you guys know if it happens to you...The EGR VALVE fixed the problem. found it dirt cheap on seebay...Ford part for $95 + 10 shipping...three days of driving and it hasn't coughed, hesitated, nothing...only thing left to try is towing my trailer...next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.