6.0L Performance Upgrade - Which one? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0L Performance Upgrade - Which one?

I have recently purchased a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0L PS diesel. After much research, I have picked two pathes to follow for the performance upgrade.

Option 1: Air intake system from Volant or AFE, Jucie with attitude Platinum (to be released in a week or so) and a turbo back exhaust 4 or 5 inch downpipe and a Magnaflow exhaust.

Option 2: Banks Six gun bundle in the new PDA version to be out in a month or so, with the speed loader and their monster exhaust, with the idea of adding components from the Big Hoss bundle and transmission upgrades in the future.

The first option may let me get into this at a little less cost, but I have heard that the defueling can be a little harsh. The second option give me one integrated system from air intake and through, but have heard that a few owners are unhappy. No reasons given.

I pull a 5000lb Motorcycle trailer with Harleys. Most of the time, I am around town or on the interstate. I want the performance, but I want to keep this baby awhile and don't want to blow it up.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I plan on going with option 2 in the future. The PDA looks pretty sweet and adding GPS to it would be great. From what I hear Banks is holding out on the PDA release, and Edge is holding out on their new Monitor they have cause neither one wants to release the first one giving the other an oportunity to add something else. One problem with the PDA is it is a bottom line model with limited cababilities. And one plus for the Platinum is the turbo timer. Now that you have thinking again it is still a toss up. I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. I just got the Superchips Tuner to hold me off. I want to wait a while and see what comes out and what people think about them. Saving the cash for the purchase would help too I guess.
Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
WELCOME claybuster!
I'm with Scotty on this one. I too plan on getting the Six Gun at some point and currently run the Predator to hold me over.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question

Did you guys replace the air intakes and exhaust while you are waiting or did you leave the stock equipment in.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 AM

I put in an AFE stage II kit, no exhaust yet. The AFE kit makes my engine light come on cause the air velocity is lower although there is more air volume. I would replace your intake last. Spend the cash on an exhaust system.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I have a 4" turbo back with no muffler and cat still in place. I haven't replaced my air intake yet. I have to say although I know the exhaust can't hurt, I didn't notice any difference other than a nice sound when I romp on her. Loosing the cat would be ideal but I don't want to deal with the emission crap.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Thank you for the replies. I may wait for the Banks to be released and wait for comments.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 AM

Looks like a pretty old post but I wanted to ante up my two cents; since I was in a similar circumstance, although everyone knows that Victory motorcycle HATE to be trailered and do best when they're actually ridden

I had very similar questions and confusion when it came to tweaking my Ex, especially since it was my first diesel. Spent hours on the phone/PM/e-mail with Larry and Patrick at Discount Power Parts.

Bottom line is diesels tune real nicely, and to see some nice results with the SCT Xcalibrator 2 with Innovative Diesel tunes, check here and make sure to read the full write-up here. I have the Street tune installed now, saving the Xtreme Street for when I get back on my feet and get my Commander installed. My personal guarentee, FWIW it's worth, is that it's the absolute biggest/best bang for the buck. Nothing like a 7K pound trucking walking an '05 Mustang GT in the 1/4!

Matty
Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to F350SUPERDUTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Looks like a pretty old post but I wanted to ante up my two cents; since I was in a similar circumstance, although everyone knows that Victory motorcycle HATE to be trailered and do best when they're actually ridden

I had very similar questions and confusion when it came to tweaking my Ex, especially since it was my first diesel. Spent hours on the phone/PM/e-mail with Larry and Patrick at Discount Power Parts.

Bottom line is diesels tune real nicely, and to see some nice results with the SCT Xcalibrator 2 with Innovative Diesel tunes, check here and make sure to read the full write-up here. I have the Street tune installed now, saving the Xtreme Street for when I get back on my feet and get my Commander installed. My personal guarentee, FWIW it's worth, is that it's the absolute biggest/best bang for the buck. Nothing like a 7K pound trucking walking an '05 Mustang GT in the 1/4!

Matty
Any smoke with it?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM

When I get on it and the boost is building, look the F-out! There's an initial pretty big show which evens out pretty quick if I stay on the gas. Found out real quick why they're called smokers. And when people make stoplight comments like "there's something with your truck, it's smoking" I try a snappy come-back like "nuthun' but ricer and racer boy azz!"

Matty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.