05 Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Excursion

Hey guys and gals I have a question. I have posted a couple others in other places and all I get is crickets.
I am looking into traiding the jugg and my expadition in on an excursion.
Currently I am thinking on an 05 with the 6.0. Now I know they get hella good fuel milage for the monstors they are but the whole haveing a 6.0 in it kinda scares me. What problems do the 05's have? As far as the rest of the vehicle is there any perticulars I should be looking for? I cant realy afford a super low milage vehicle so it will probablu be around 70,000 to 100,000 miles. I am trying to find the lower so I still have some warrenty. Oh and please dont sugjest getting a gasser. I may point and laugh if you do. J/K I will never have another big vehicle with a gas motore again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get an oasis report for all of the excursions you find.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
Get an oasis report for all of the excursions you find.

I will but, remind me what it is and how I get one?

Is an exursion worth the money?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Worth the $$..??? depends on what you are wanting to do with it. FYI a 7.3Ex will get better MPG's.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Worth the $$..??? depends on what you are wanting to do with it. FYI a 7.3Ex will get better MPG's.
realy? What MPG Are they getting with a 7.3.

I have a large family 7 kids wife and I to be exact. We are outgrowing the expadition and the wife is now wishing she would have listened to me 4 years ago and purchase the excursion instead. I do some towing most of it light 2 ton or less. If I move back up to Alaska I will be towing most of my house hold goods and that should tip the upper limit of the scales. Any way my main concern is comfert for the family and MPG.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Point and laugh if you want but I think an expedition EL would suit you better. I have an 05 Excursion 4x4 Diesel Eddie Bauer with 73k on it with no real problems. At a steady 60-65 I can get 22mpg. I went to orlando Florida and back on I95 rolling VERY hard and got 19.1 (about 1600 miles). The only change was an SCT on the "canned" "street" tune. Bone stock the mileage at low speeds is better than tuned, but at higher speeds the tune really helps the mileage. I doubt a 7.3 will do much better mileage wise.

The big complaints, for the size their isn't alot passanger room. It handles TERRIBLE, plan on springs and shocks and a steering box if you aren't a very aggressive driver. I know that sounds backwards but if you drive agressively you wil not see the real down sides of the handeling i.e it won't track down the higway straight at a steady cruise.

Good luck in the search!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM

I am upgrading from an expadition.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM

I've had 3 Excursions, (so far) From V10, then 7.3 , now 6.0

Maintnence is cheaper on the 7.3

6.0 has a FAR superior transmission, and overall better driveability than my 7.3 version.
And the 6.0 has a few extra emmisions devices that are suspect to potential engine problems.

If you have no diesel emissions laws in the state of Nevada, get the 6.0 and do an EGR delete.

Or find one for sale here that has allready been done and enjoy it.

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallendown View Post
I've had 3 Excursions, (so far) From V10, then 7.3 , now 6.0

Maintnence is cheaper on the 7.3

6.0 has a FAR superior transmission, and overall better driveability than my 7.3 version.
And the 6.0 has a few extra emmisions devices that are suspect to potential engine problems.

If you have no diesel emissions laws in the state of Nevada, get the 6.0 and do an EGR delete.

Or find one for sale here that has allready been done and enjoy it.

Welcome to the site!
I am from Utah not Nevada and yes we do have emission laws but it depends on the county you live in. I live in one but register in another because the Jugg would never pass the emission tests. I realy Love my 7.3L Trans it is far from stock so it is tough as heck. I built it at aroung 140,000 and I have 200,000 on her now. Still sollid as a rock. I have to say from friends that have owned or do owne 6.0's i am leary of buying one. but then again I know a couple people that do not have many problems. Still kinda worried about it though. Also I am not new to the site it just has been a while since I have been on here. I purchased a Motorcycle back in Augest an only started driving the truck when it started to snow. I realy love my truck and hate to get rid of it but my family is outgrowing the expadition and I figure if I have the excursion it will have enough room to haul what I need to. Big down side is I wont have 5th wheel or goose towing capabilitys any more. I dont know I may even keep the truck and just traid in the expadition. We will see what i can find and what kind of deal i can get.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No way I can get over 16 with my Ex..not even when it was stock! I do know people that get 18 with a 7.3 in their Ex that I belive.
Handling issues are easyly fixed ..covered hundreds of times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.