Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 Excursion

7K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  GloverEggs 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals I have a question. I have posted a couple others in other places and all I get is crickets.
I am looking into traiding the jugg and my expadition in on an excursion.
Currently I am thinking on an 05 with the 6.0. Now I know they get hella good fuel milage for the monstors they are but the whole haveing a 6.0 in it kinda scares me. What problems do the 05's have? As far as the rest of the vehicle is there any perticulars I should be looking for? I cant realy afford a super low milage vehicle so it will probablu be around 70,000 to 100,000 miles. I am trying to find the lower so I still have some warrenty. Oh and please dont sugjest getting a gasser. I may point and laugh if you do. J/K I will never have another big vehicle with a gas motore again.

#5 ·
realy? What MPG Are they getting with a 7.3.

I have a large family 7 kids wife and I to be exact. We are outgrowing the expadition and the wife is now wishing she would have listened to me 4 years ago and purchase the excursion instead. I do some towing most of it light 2 ton or less. If I move back up to Alaska I will be towing most of my house hold goods and that should tip the upper limit of the scales. Any way my main concern is comfert for the family and MPG.

#6 ·
Point and laugh if you want but I think an expedition EL would suit you better. I have an 05 Excursion 4x4 Diesel Eddie Bauer with 73k on it with no real problems. At a steady 60-65 I can get 22mpg. I went to orlando Florida and back on I95 rolling VERY hard and got 19.1 (about 1600 miles). The only change was an SCT on the "canned" "street" tune. Bone stock the mileage at low speeds is better than tuned, but at higher speeds the tune really helps the mileage. I doubt a 7.3 will do much better mileage wise.

The big complaints, for the size their isn't alot passanger room. It handles TERRIBLE, plan on springs and shocks and a steering box if you aren't a very aggressive driver. I know that sounds backwards but if you drive agressively you wil not see the real down sides of the handeling i.e it won't track down the higway straight at a steady cruise.

Good luck in the search!

#8 ·
I've had 3 Excursions, (so far) From V10, then 7.3 , now 6.0

Maintnence is cheaper on the 7.3

6.0 has a FAR superior transmission, and overall better driveability than my 7.3 version.
And the 6.0 has a few extra emmisions devices that are suspect to potential engine problems.

If you have no diesel emissions laws in the state of Nevada, get the 6.0 and do an EGR delete.

Or find one for sale here that has allready been done and enjoy it.

Welcome to the site!

#9 ·
I am from Utah not Nevada and yes we do have emission laws but it depends on the county you live in. I live in one but register in another because the Jugg would never pass the emission tests. I realy Love my 7.3L Trans it is far from stock so it is tough as heck. I built it at aroung 140,000 and I have 200,000 on her now. Still sollid as a rock. I have to say from friends that have owned or do owne 6.0's i am leary of buying one. but then again I know a couple people that do not have many problems. Still kinda worried about it though. Also I am not new to the site it just has been a while since I have been on here. I purchased a Motorcycle back in Augest an only started driving the truck when it started to snow. I realy love my truck and hate to get rid of it but my family is outgrowing the expadition and I figure if I have the excursion it will have enough room to haul what I need to. Big down side is I wont have 5th wheel or goose towing capabilitys any more. I dont know I may even keep the truck and just traid in the expadition. We will see what i can find and what kind of deal i can get.

#12 ·
Sorry, I was looking at some one else's post and yours and jumbled them together in my brain.

I would not pay any attention to the post about it handling badly and being small on the inside. Nothing has the towing capability and the amount of potential passenger capability of the excursion. It's a truck, it's going to handle like a tank because it is one. I'm in the same boat as you , when the family is in mine we take up 7 seats, and when you have 5 kids , you allways seem to have an extra one with you.....

So far as the 6.0 goes.......
If your emissions are only a visual inspection , you can easily perform the modifications to ensure ,( or at least help ) it to live up to it's full potential. If they sniff exhaust gasses, or plug into the OBDII port it may be another story. Mine is all done, and you CAN NOT tell by looking. I have ZERO emmisions equipment, and the tune I run makes no more smoke than the stock tuning.

The only thing I would consider other than an Excursion is a quigly conversion . A 4x4 Diesel E350 passenger van seems like it would work for me, but until I hit the lottery and can afford one, I'll keep the EX.

#15 ·
That sounds about like my 05 F250. These 6.0s are deffinately very different from truck to truck. I do see over 18 on the F250 on some mild long highway stretches but nothing like my Ex gets. I half chaulked it up to aerodynamic differences and the extra weight of the F250. Right now I am getting 12 daily in the F250 and 16 in the Ex.

#17 ·
The expadition EL is nice but is an 8 pax max. No thanks on the van I would rather have two cars. Excursion or suburban are my options and to hell with the suburban Unless it was a new one but if I could afford that I wouldnt be talking about a used Excursion. Maybe I will win the latto that I dont even buy tickets for.

#22 ·
i love my Ex. I was getting up to 22mpg until i changed the wheels and tires now about 17mpg.

It also could have been from a bad injector. i replaced it when i did the studs. i havent put enough miles to determin it that was the issue.

#23 ·
you can put a bench seat out of a superduty to get the nineth seat. I like the 40/20/40 seats. I will put one in mine when the finaces allow.

#25 ·
A couple months ago I bought an 04 Excursion Limited 6.0 with 115,000 miles from someone I knew. It was the best decision I've ever made. I wish I would have bought one new in 05 but I couldn't afford it anyway. Anyways... computer say MPG's in 18's mixed highway/city in stock mode. When I have EGR problems I'm doing the delete. I love the way in rides/drives and has great power. I can't imagine what a tuner would do to it!

#26 ·
I have a 2000 x 7.3 with 130 k an with the economy tune it gets 21-22 @ 73 mph. I have 4 kids and i was tired of wedging in our 06 f150 supercrew with the 5.4 triton. I use to pull a 23 ft cruiser with the gas truck but it was a struggle. Wife wanted a suv and I wanted a diesal! The x is the perfect solution plus im upgradeing to a 28-30 ft boat around 10k lbs. Needless to say im very pleased so far

#27 ·
Holy old thread revival!!!! After Not getting an excursion a couple years ago and going with a car instead I have finally come to my senses. I am again looking for an excursion. Now that they are a little older are there any known issues I should be looking for? on all models of course. I have not ruled out a 6.0 completely but, leaning toward a 7.3.

#28 ·
Get you a monitor. I bought the Edge Insight CTS. You can look at the EOT/ECT and see if it is having a coolant problem. Also supposedly you can check the voltage on the FICM and see if it is going bad. I havent figured that one out yet as Im just starting to check out Excursions. There is tons of info on here about how to check them out. Good luck!

#29 ·
I had an 01 F 350 4dr 4x4 7.3 then an 06 with a 6.0....decided I wanted an Excursion and to save money I went v10. I love the Excursion! I even like the V10 but it gets horrible mileage. I am searcing for another Excursion with a 6.0! You will love the Ex! And my wife has an 07 Expy EL and its great, but not a truck like the Excursion. Plus the Excursion is much better at pulling the travel trailer

#30 ·
Ive been looking off and on for over a year and just cant find one Im willing to jump on. My main problem has been leather problems. I dont know if people havent taken care of the leather or just bad leather that wont last. To have the front and middle redone by a company that is good is $14-1600 around here. Factoring that into the $8-10000 for bullet proofing and you have to find one at a pretty good price. Most of the ones that I have seen around here are at used dealers and try explaining the $8-12k price difference you are wanting to them, lol. Ill find one one of these days. I havent had any (knock on wood) probs with my current truck. But I cant get 3 car seats in the back seat.

#31 ·
i dont like leather in my 05 so i am going to redo in cloth

#34 ·
I test drove a 6.0 2005 Excursion. It was what I consider gutless. We have a 1995 7.3 Powerstroke F350 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed truck that runs! You know the "Drive it like you stole it!" You would get caught in the Excursion that I drove.

I have a hard time believing that the programming on new 5-speed tranny would make that much of a difference. Is what I expereienced in the test drive normal?

#35 ·
My '05 Ex has never been gutless, a little flat right off idle but as soon as the vanes do their job it halls azz. For some reason I get my best fuel milage at 110-115 kph at 22 miles per imp gallon. What I hate most about my Ex is the ride quality but hopefully I'll have the cash this summer for Cary to fix that up. Still dreaming of Wilwoods front and rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#36 ·
Sounds like it may need a turbo overhaul. The vanes and unison ring get really sooty and can get partially seized where they don't go through full motion range. For me this was most noticeable from a stop. My 04 ran good but after the SCT tuner it is "Scary" fast. How many miles on the 05 you're looking at?

#37 ·
I've also found that the actuator slot getting egg shaped seems to lead to poor off the line performance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.