ECT vs EOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-15-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT vs EOT

60 degrees f out. ECT 179 EOT 189. No load flat surface 30 miles. Normal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A 10deg delta is nothing to worry about but your ECT is too low. Replace your thermostat and run it again. You might find that your delta is even lower.

Go OEM.
jokester00 likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #3 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Ford says 10 is fail-ing and 15 is fail-ed. With a trailer you'll properly see 13-14+. I'd start preparing for an oil cooler. I've diagnosed and monitored thousands of these things for oil coolers. A good cooler will follow your ECT all the way up to operating temp, wherever it ends up being on your truck, and should stay within 3-4 degrees unloaded, 6-8 while pulling and pulling hills. The excursion I just bought for my wife a couple weeks ago sits at 192 coolant and 192 oil at 75-80 mph for 60 miles straight. The cooler is simply a heat exchanger, and does not care what temps are. It always cools to the best of its abilities. Call it my opinion, but it's an opinion based off of literally hundreds of trucks that I have diagnosed a failing or failed oil cooler, replaced it, and on test drive have a 0-2 degree split whereas prior to the new oil cooler it was 10+ (up to 50-60). Your thermostat is slightly bad, the truck should be 192+ however that WILL NOT AFFECT the oil coolers abilities to cool whatsoever. With that being said, plan on doing an oil cooler and thermostat in the near future, maybe before it gets too hot outside.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Check delta with ECT at operating temp. That's 190.
If you absolutely can not get it to 190, replace the thermostat and test again

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

**i don't use capitals. deal with it**
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaya For This Useful Post:
djmaguire (03-16-2017)
post #5 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
Ford says 10 is fail-ing and 15 is fail-ed. With a trailer you'll properly see 13-14+. I'd start preparing for an oil cooler. ...
Where does Ford say that? I am unaware of any TSB of Ford document that mentions some threshold of 10F. Since you are recommending that the OP have a shop do between $900-$1400 worth of work, having solid documentation on the criterion that you are using would be a good thing. Please post your Ford reference.

What I am aware of is Ford TSB 09-8-3 regarding overheating and coolant loss. It says:
  • If you have a greater than 15F delta and coolant loss, replace the oil cooler.
  • If you have less than 15F delta and coolant loss, look for failed head gaskets.

It makes no mention of doing anything if someone has a less-than-15F delta and no coolant loss - such as the OP's situation. ...and it makes no mention at all of a 10F delta.

In fact, in the 5 years that I've owned my truck, I don't recall ever having a delta lower than 10F at any speed greater than 60mph. E-ver.

Also, regarding this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
...Your thermostat is slightly bad, the truck should be 192+ however that WILL NOT AFFECT the oil coolers abilities to cool whatsoever. ...
You may want to look on page 3 of the TSB that I attached below. In it, Ford says this regarding the delta test:

"FOR ACCURATE TEST RESULTS, ECT TEMPERATURE MUST BE GREATER THAN 190°F (88 °C) WHEN MEASURING THE ECT AND EOT MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL."

Ford used the all caps, not me. I think that they did that because the point is REALLY IMPORTANT. This is consistent with @kaya 's recommendation. He's a real smart dude.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford TSB09-8-3 - Overheating-Coolant Loss.pdf (341.4 KB, 19 views)

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Haha. I wasn't going to say it, but I suppose it's in the interest of keeping information accurate.
Being that the engine oil in a HEUI system is utilized as hydraulic fluid, and that pressurizing a fluid will increase it's temperature, it will absolutely rise faster than ECT. That's the reason ECT must be at operating temp to rationalize.
Op hasn't actually specified how long the truck had been run. It may just not have been up to temp yet.

Dj, you're too kind.
"Everyone is a genius. But when we judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will believe it's whole life that it is not"
Favorite Einstein quote.
In relation, I just happen to do this for a living, that's all lol.
G8orFord likes this.

post #7 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya View Post
Haha. I wasn't going to say it, but I suppose it's in the interest of keeping information accurate.
Being that the engine oil in a HEUI system is utilized as hydraulic fluid, and that pressurizing a fluid will increase it's temperature, it will absolutely rise faster than ECT. That's the reason ECT must be at operating temp to rationalize.
Okay... so this is great info. I'd like to use it to bounce something off of you:

I have 4.88 diff gearing. At 65mph, a stock 3.73 is running at 1900RPM. At 65mph, I'm at 2500RPM. I have considered it obvious that I saw higher deltas at 65mph because the higher RPM means more heat being injected into the oil and coolant. I figured that the oil simply absorbed more heat because it was cooling the more rapidly firing injectors. That seemed a more stark change in heat input as compared to the increased cooling of the cylinders by the coolant.

But... From what you said above, it seems more reasonable to conclude that the oil isn't absorbing heat from the injectors as much as it being heated by the HEUI pressurization process and - at higher RPMs - the corresponding higher pressure is the cause for the higher oil temp and, so, higher delta.

Is that conclusion correct?

Quote:
...Op hasn't actually specified how long the truck had been run. It may just not have been up to temp yet. ...
You are correct. I assumed from the 30 minutes of driving that it would be up to temp. That 30 minutes could mean anything. As such, your qualification regarding the stat change was better than my demand that it be changed. Lol.

Quote:
... Dj, you're too kind.
"Everyone is a genius. But when we judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will believe it's whole life that it is not"
Favorite Einstein quote.
In relation, I just happen to do this for a living, that's all lol.
That's a great quote. I'm going to share it with my daughter as she sometimes forgets all that she is good at when she encounters something that she is not-so-good at.

I do realize that the fact that you do this professionally may skew the ORG IQ curve. ...but - if nothing else - quotes like that and the one in your sig suggest to me that you know more than just trucks..

2004 F550 CC Lariat
post #8 of 33 Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
Okay... so this is great info. I'd like to use it to bounce something off of you:

I have 4.88 diff gearing. At 65mph, a stock 3.73 is running at 1900RPM. At 65mph, I'm at 2500RPM. I have considered it obvious that I saw higher deltas at 65mph because the higher RPM means more heat being injected into the oil and coolant. I figured that the oil simply absorbed more heat because it was cooling the more rapidly firing injectors. That seemed a more stark change in heat input as compared to the increased cooling of the cylinders by the coolant.

But... From what you said above, it seems more reasonable to conclude that the oil isn't absorbing heat from the injectors as much as it being heated by the HEUI pressurization process and - at higher RPMs - the corresponding higher pressure is the cause for the higher oil temp and, so, higher delta.

Is that conclusion correct?
I'd say that ICP is probably a greater contributor to higher eot, given those variables, sure.

Quote:
You are correct. I assumed from the 30 minutes of driving that it would be up to temp. That 30 minutes could mean anything. As such, your qualification regarding the stat change was better than my demand that it be changed. Lol.
Hmm he did say 30 miles. Which could be about half hour. Either way, it's a fair amount of driving. I'd still drive it a little longer tho.

Quote:
That's a great quote. I'm going to share it with my daughter as she sometimes forgets all that she is good at when she encounters something that she is not-so-good at.

I do realize that the fact that you do this professionally may skew the ORG IQ curve. ...but - if nothing else - quotes like that and the one in your sig suggest to me that you know more than just trucks..
Words to live by, my friend.
Interest+information=knowledge. Simple equation.
We live in an age where information is so extremely abundant and readily available. But that interest. That is paramount.

post #9 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks @kaya . ICP was precisely the point that I was trying to make. I just like lotsa words...

I remember reading an article on oil cooling injectors. I think that it stuck with me when I was considering differing deltas.

The connection of higher diff gearing to RPM to ICP to delta makes better sense in terms of the underlying physics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer. Good stuff.
kaya likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
post #10 of 33 Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
What's interesting in that bulliten is that a new oil cooler kit is available that makes the oil cooler servicable and that replacement of the plugged cooler is "no longer required". It almost infers that there was a workaround to having to pull and replace the cooler in the block valley using some other design with a bypass hose to ensure egr recieved enough coolant flow? Maybe a factory remotely located cooler in the radiator hose? Wouldn't that be nice.

Probably would have saved ford a ton of warranty money if you spent a couple of hours installing a new cooler rather than the time removal,and replacement of the cooler required. Maybe something was in the works but never got released?

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and SCT Tuner

Last edited by Rossterman; 03-17-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode