Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front Wheel Rattle / Ringing

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Elchubbs 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had this small rattling/ringing noise coming from the driver front wheel area on my Ex and I have been chasing it down for months! It only happens when I go over really rough roads. The suspension is fine, when I go over speed bumps there is no noise. I replaced my sway bar end links and bushings as well as all my exhaust hangers thinking one of those may have been it, but the noise was still there.

I think I may have finally figured out a fix for it today. I noticed that when I pulled the lower slide pin on my Passenger front wheel brake caliper, that it was very snug and I had to get vice grips to remove it. There is no noise on the passenger side. When I pulled the Driver side lower slide pin there was no resistance. So I replaced my Brake Caliper Slide Pins on the Driver Side. I bought two different sets from Ford who calls them Caliper Repair Kits and tried them both because the dealer wasn't sure which ones I needed. The first ones I bought were part number F81Z-2C150-AA. These slide pins are all metal one is blue one is silver and it does not have a bushing for the lower slide pin. They did not work and the noise continued. However, when I tried part number 2C3Z-2C150-AA, the slide pins with a bushing for the lower pin, it seems to have fixed the noise. I can just barely hear it now and it was much louder before. I think that I may replace the caliper bracket as well, as I think the bore in it where the slide pins go has opened up a little from all the rattling around because it was not as snug as the passenger side.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very interesting. I've always heard a high pitched rattle when I hit the reflectors on the road. I'll have to check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.