B&W ooseneck hitches? 5th wheel conversion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
B&W ooseneck hitches? 5th wheel conversion?

I need to add a hitch for my fifth wheel. I don't want the rails in the bed, and I don't want to have to haull a 100# hitch in and out of the truck everytime I decide to use the trailer. I have been thinking about going to a gooseneck type hitch, with a king pin adapter on my trailer. I have found B&W, which has a hidden ball- when not in use, just flip it over and it sits flush with the bed. Anyone have any experience with these?

Anyone with king pin adapter experience? They are pricey, but it seems less hassle than dragging the 5th wheel hitch around.

I want a heavy duty bedliner for my truck, but with 5th wheel rails, at best you have to carve it up for them to fit. With the gooseneck, I would simply have to cut a round plug out of the liner, and use it to cover the hitch in the bed. I still have to carve the liner, but not to any great extent...

A Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM

I've got a B&W turnover ball in my truck rated at 30K.
Wouldnt have anything else!
As far as king pin adapter I know two guys who have them on thier 5ers, and they say its the only way to go!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

5th wheel hitch

Going with the ball hitch is the only way to go. You can pull just as much with a ball as you can with a 5th wheel and if you go to adding up the price of parts it is can be cheaper, plus you always can use your bed.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER04 View Post
Going with the ball hitch is the only way to go. You can pull just as much with a ball as you can with a 5th wheel and if you go to adding up the price of parts it is can be cheaper, plus you always can use your bed.
The B&W hitch I priced about $350, plus the adapter at $300. I could get a 5th wheel for roughly $100 less, but, I have the headache of rails. The gooseneck makes more sense...now to find an (more) affordable adapter. Thanks for the input...

A Smith
Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Ive got the turnover ball gooseneck it works slick but i also have the rails and fifth wheel that set up isnt that heavy i think mine weighs all of 40 lbs its the reese 15k but as far as the bedliner goes i wouldnt mess around with the plastic drop ins anymore i have had line x in my last 3 trucks for me its the only way to go
Old 01-04-2007, 04:00 PM

5th wheel

I would question the 350 to have the ball installed. you should be able to get one installed for around 250. Or it is not hard to install your self the hardest part is making sure that you cut the hole in the right spot.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

I put the B&W turnover ball hitch in my 350 and it is great.When i took it to the shop to have it done they cut the hole 3" off .Cut it for a long bed and it is a short bed.Only 3000 miles on it i was ready to bust some one nose.I told them the were going to buy me a new bed.I called my buddy over at auto body and he said he could fix it and i would not be able to tell that it was done.So it cost them close to a grand.B&W is a good one
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
I put the B&W turnover ball hitch in my 350 and it is great.When i took it to the shop to have it done they cut the hole 3" off .Cut it for a long bed and it is a short bed.Only 3000 miles on it i was ready to bust some one nose.I told them the were going to buy me a new bed.I called my buddy over at auto body and he said he could fix it and i would not be able to tell that it was done.So it cost them close to a grand.B&W is a good one
Ouch!! I would be steaming too! I think I am mechanically inclined enough to install it, and if I am not, I have a few buddies that would help me.

As for the liner, I am going with the drop in because it looks a little more finished, and I am not sold on the spray in being as effective as a heavy duty drop in. To each his own though.

I have only had this new truck a week, and every day I come up with something else I need and/or want for it. This could get expensive....

A Smith
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWGunS View Post
Ouch!! I would be steaming too! I think I am mechanically inclined enough to install it, and if I am not, I have a few buddies that would help me.

As for the liner, I am going with the drop in because it looks a little more finished, and I am not sold on the spray in being as effective as a heavy duty drop in. To each his own though.

I have only had this new truck a week, and every day I come up with something else I need and/or want for it. This could get expensive....

A Smith
just my two cents.....

I was sceptical of the spray ons for a long time...but after seeing them in action...i now think they are actually more durable and do more for you than a drop in. They have better traction wet...protects just as well...and dont scratch and wear as much. Unless youve been around them they dont seem as durable but after seeing it im impressed with what a good quality spray on actually performs like. I would never have a rubber or plastic bedliner again after seeing what he spray ons can do for you....
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM

I put in the bed is Line X i really like it.I was thinking of puting a liner in mine but i look at my bubby dodge that he had the liner in and i lifted it up and it is allready started to show rust.It is because he has had hay in the back and it got under the liner and never took it out and clean it and let it dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.