Tool box solutions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tool box solutions

I was thinking about adding a tool box to my truck. I'm gonna go with a WeatherGuard if any at all. They make a pretty slick looking black diamond plate box that I just saw this week. My only apprehension is having a short bed, would I lose alot of room. I would like to have the box and still enough room to put a quad in the back. My friend and I go out every once and a while, he has a little 300ex he lets my mud around in. But I DO need the storage. Are there any alternatives? I have the soft, roll cover on now that you can see in my garage. I like it and if anything would slip underneath, that'd be nice too. Big description but a simple question over-all. Thanks for the help guys!

-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Hey Nate! I thought about getting one myself but like you I was concerned about my ATV. My ATV is a monster and as it is I can get it in and JUST close the tailgate. If you measure though I'd be willing to bet you could still fit your ATV but you'd just have to leave the tailgate down and strap it in if you had a toolbox.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I have a pretty large tool box from Adrian Steel, it's a stainless steel box. Pretty nice, it just needs cleaned up as it's dulled a lot from the weather. I had it on my old chevy which had a 6.5 foot bed. Most of the time I pulled the box off to haul my dirt bike because it wouldn't fit with it there. With my 8' bed on the psd I could fit the bike and the box, I just had to angle the bike to close the gate. I ended up taking the box of and leaving it off because I didn't wanna drill through the bed to mount it. Plus every time I smashed th pedal it'd go sliding back until it hit the wheel wells, and the near 400 pounds of tools inside surely had a small impact on miles and power...I know i'll never have a bed less than 8' again....
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Banned

what about an over the wheel well type box, they dont have quite the capacity, but take less of your usable bed up.......
Old 01-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
what about an over the wheel well type box, they dont have quite the capacity, but take less of your usable bed up.......
Right i was gonna sugest one of those rear conner boxes (we had a thread on them a long time ago) and if you go to a lowes (where i got my Better Built) brand box, they have little ABS two piece clamps which clamp to the bottom lip of the bedrail, tightened by one horizontal allen screw, then the box sits on the rail and has two allen screws per side that go vertically down into the clamps inside block.

Hopfully i didn't confuse you guys

here's the catolog
Old 01-27-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel
I was thinking about adding a tool box to my truck. I'm gonna go with a WeatherGuard if any at all. They make a pretty slick looking black diamond plate box that I just saw this week. My only apprehension is having a short bed, would I lose alot of room. I would like to have the box and still enough room to put a quad in the back. My friend and I go out every once and a while, he has a little 300ex he lets my mud around in. But I DO need the storage. Are there any alternatives? I have the soft, roll cover on now that you can see in my garage. I like it and if anything would slip underneath, that'd be nice too. Big description but a simple question over-all. Thanks for the help guys!

-nate

Buy a trailer! I did this because I was fed up with trying to load my quad in the bed of my old Sonoma after racing all day, so its turned out to be the best investment I've ever made. Plus, if I don't want to unload it when I get home at 11pm, it stays in the trailer.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Good idea, but not as economical for some people........
Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 PM

I have an Ultima, which is the same as a Delta or Challenger; it's annoying...make sure you get the type of latch that has a teired post lock and not a loop and catch arm...especially if its a single lid, you want the handles on the end...mine are in the middle and they're a pain...but i think Weatherguard's don't have that...good luck...you might check out UWS...they have a lot of nice boxes, regular and odd shapes also.

wes
Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Nate,

Here's my take. I recently went with Sears Craftsman Tool Box - over the rail type, that sits off the bed. It is stainless steel, and has a 3 year guarantee. Regardless of the box you decide to go with (stainless steel is stainless steel - your just paying for the name), ensure you by one that does not require it to bolt directly to your bed. Craftsman's Tool Box came with mounting hardware that does not require you to drill through the bed rails and mounts perfectly. I have an 8' Bed and although it does take some of my bed-space, I enjoy the ability to carry the stuff I need securely. Since it sits off the bed, I still can slide plywood, or whatever I want underneath the box.

Frankie

Last edited by Frankie the Gun; 01-29-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Yeah that's how my adrian advantage box is, off the bed, on the rails. I can fit about 10-12 sheets beneath it, actually a 6x6 post fits just perfect underneath it. I had a box from Tractor Supply, it was a dual lid box and they opened like butterfly wings...I left one up and pulled into the garage...yikes....ripped off the door and bent the sucker in half. Learned my lesson!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.