How to make Harley headlights? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to make Harley headlights?

Anyone have an idea of how to "black out" the chrome in my headlight housing? Simple thing, so it seems, but I doubt that it is. Thanks

-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I'm sure it is possible, but probably very time consuming. I saw once on a show where they actually removed the headlights from a car and opened the housing, and painted the inside to match the vehicle color. Then they carefully put it back together. It was pretty sweet looking when they finished.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:20 PM

If you did that wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose of even having lights? I mean if there was no chrome or shiny material what would the light have to bounce off of to shine down the road? I could be wrong, but isnt the light bulb covered by a piece of metal that redirects the light to the chrome so that the light can be projested in front of the truck???
Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 PM

Talking Harley headlights

I would have to look at the Harley to see the bulb configuration. They have to be designed with a built in reflector. Look at you trucks lights, yes with them turned off. You will notice you can't see the bulb. It's behind the reflector cup in the middle. The light is bounced from the center onto the back then out the front. Getting paint inside wouldn't be hard to do. Put paint through the bulb hole and rock the housing around to distribute the paint. The other problem would be the temp inside. It would probably burn most paint off. It might be easyer to get smoked covers for the outside.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 AM
Banned

well... on the 05-06 Harley's, the light bulb surround isnt painted. it's the chrome around it that is. If you notice on the 05-06 headlights, the bulb is in its own seperate piece with a large amount of chrome around it. i wouldn't think of painting the chrome inside that piece because of the reflecting purposes, i knew that. But I want around it... smokin was closest to what I had in mind, and I've seen it done but was just wondering if there's an easier way.

-nate
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I figured that's how you wanted it, just the non-reflective chrome painted. I don't see any easier way than buying some that are custom made, if they even exist.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 PM

found

i found this site http://autodeadline.com/Photos?Sourc...derbird&page=2 it has pics of super-duty h/d it might help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.