6" Lift, how do i bring it down to 4"? (05 F350) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6" Lift, how do i bring it down to 4"? (05 F350)

Bought my truck with a 6" lift and 37's. Picture below

Just a tad too big for my liking. Im looking to bring it down about 2" and run 35's. Anyone know what i need? The lift is a rough country and has the radius arm drop brackets and everything. Can i just remove one of the blocks or something in the rear and then swap the 6" springs for some 4" ones? What is my best option here?

Here is a shot of my rear axle so you can see my setup:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the best option with the rear axle would be to pull out that upper block. I have never really agreed with the idea of stacking blocks in the first place- I generally think it is better to install one larger block than stacking 2 shorter blocks.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fan1 View Post
I think the best option with the rear axle would be to pull out that upper block. I have never really agreed with the idea of stacking blocks in the first place- I generally think it is better to install one larger block than stacking 2 shorter blocks.
Thats what I may end up doing. Any idea if I have to change anything with the leaf springs?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
Thats what I may end up doing. Any idea if I have to change anything with the leaf springs?
You should be able to pull out the upper block to get the height in the back you want, shouldn't need to mess with the springs. May need new U-Bolts as well...

As for the front is it all spring lift? If it is, your best bet may be to swap them out with a 4" lift coil and sell yours in the classified's.

Truck looks good tho man! I think I saw it on SVTPerformance already. Have Fun!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 AM

lift companies seem to stack ford rear blocks so they can sell the same lift for the 250/350
because from the factory they have a different size block for the 3/4 and 1 ton going with the stacked takes the variable out of the equation and then by leaving the OEM they don't need to add a jounce stop arm I think stacking is bullchit and should be illegal if it isn't already like I believe it is in my state

take your tape measure and look at 2" then decide if it's worth the effort and money to drop it that little

if so then like mentioned remove the top block /get new u bolts / trade or buy new coils/ may need all new shocks ,may need to un shim the carrier bearing , adjust drag link to center wheel , the rest may be ok but check for steering linkage issues(trac bar ,drag link clearance when done and may get an alignment

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-26-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Damn your my twin!!
6" Lift, how do i bring it down to 4"? (05 F350)-imageuploadedbyag-free1396234573.973977.jpg

I wish I had your setup! I have the same lift with 35s but want 37s!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
wwwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I wouldn't drive a truck w/ stacked blocks. It's ****ing hack as ****.

If you dropped the top block that'd knock you down 2". Lets see a picture up front. If you measure the front and rear to the wheel wells you can see if you really want to drop the back.

If you do, you can get 2.5" lift coils which are more like 3.5", Icon springs from Precision Metal Fab for next to nothing.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

The quick answer is this: Remove the add-a-leaf, keep the all blocks and buy some 4" front coils.

See that leaf above the overload? That's an add-a-leaf from the lift kit. The discoloration from the other leafs in the stack is the indicator. MOST 6" lifts use the same block as a 4" lift AND the add-a-leaf for the additional height. Further, I'd keep the shocks, too. It's better to have shocks that are too long than too short. Unless you do some hardcore wheeling, those shocks will do fine until they wear out, then you can get 4" lift shocks.

As for the track bar, sway bar, and pitman arm, the pieces from the 6" lift should be the same as for the four. However, the drag link will need to be shortened for proper steering. Finally, have it re-aligned, there may be caster issues with the shorter coils. Although about all that extra positive caster could hurt is high speed cornering. Unless you drive it like a Mustang, that shouldn't be an issue.

One last thought: if the pin for the leafs is too tall when the add-a-leaf comes out, or the u-bolts too long for your liking, cut new threads and shorten them to your liking. I went from 5" blocks to lift springs and that's all I did to my long u-bolts.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Back up. Ordered my 35s today. Does the add-a-leaf add any height? The stock block appears to be 3.75" in height and the other block appears to be 3.125" in height. Should I just order one block? Whats with some of the blocks being angled? Help the newbie out here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.