Quest to Color Match Arizona Beige Bumpers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quest to Color Match Arizona Beige Bumpers

So I've been searching ideas both on this forum and the entire interweb for color matching my bumpers. I hate the look of the chrome bumpers while the rest of my truck is all paint matched.

I've looked at all the normal options: painting, powdercoating, colored Linex, etc. Painting just seems too weak for the amount of rock chips that will inevitably happen and my truck will be down for about 3-4 days while they do it. Powdercoating is nice and recently found a place in Baltimore that would do it for $200 thanks to a forum member, but that's a little far and again the truck would be down for several days. Linex wanted a ridiculous amount to paint match the bumpers, so that was out.

So I thought about wrapping the bumpers in vinyl. For those of you lucky enough to have a black lower two-tone color, that would be an easy match; however, the Arizona Beige color doesn't match any color vinyl currently sold on the market. I went to a place that does custom vinyl and they printed off some samples after matching a 1 cm x 3 cm color swab. $20 for the printed sample, took it out in the sun and it was this horrible iridescent green color. I potentially could've gone to another vinyl shop, but that's a 45 minute drive with the kind of traffic around here and no guarantee that they could match it either.

I've finally decided that I'm going to wrap the bumpers in 3M vinyl, but since I can't paint match, I'm going to wrap everything that is painted Arizona Beige so it all looks the same.

I determined I'd need about 60 sq. ft. of material to get the job done. I ordered a sample pack from 3M which had about 50 different styles and colors of vinyl. I decided to go with Gloss Charcoal Metallic (1080-G211). It actually has a lot more dark gold sheen to it than the name implies. Basically a slightly darker version of the Arizona Beige.

I just ordered it today and it should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. I've wrapped lots of parts before, so this shouldn't be hard at all to tackle.

On a side note, my bed rail covers are in desperate need of replacement since they're faded and any treatment I use on them is temporary. I wanted to buy the 05-07 King Ranch covers for a while, but with this particular vinyl I'll be using, the 08+ King Ranch colored covers will likely match better, adding to the custom look of my truck. I already have a '10 rear bumper just waiting to be put on. If this works out well, I'll also be wrapping my roof with vinyl too.

Once the stuff gets in, I'll take some pics of the progress. Just wanted to keep those of you with the Arizona Beige two tones updated.

Next to a Pueblo Gold '10 Bumper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like a good combo! Can't wait to see it done. Do you have a picture of the whole truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

There's a couple in my sig, but I assume you can't see them on the app. Here's one for good measure.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM

^^^ is that with the vinyl or as it sits? I plasti dipped my valence but without the gloss doesn't seem to match the rest up close. Looks good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Quest to Color Match Arizona Beige Bumpers-1395606464813.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM

I used Dupli Color Match Arizona Beige for some touch ups. Cant wait to see what else you end up doing.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like a good solution that should look good and last quite a while.

If you want to change out to a painted bumper at a later date, I was able to find a bumper from an F450 work truck for $100 (painted, not chrome). Had both it and my new 08 rear bumper painted for $150. I replaced both in a day, so no down time. Put both chrome bumpers on c-list, and recouped a good portion of my cash. Also did some trading for a new grill, to complete the painted look.

If it weren't for the barter system, the wife wouldn't go for big mods.

Rock chips havent been bad at all in the painted stuff, but I don't drive it a lot and they've only been on there for about a year.

Heres a pic the day I put the wheels on, before center caps. Also bartered for wheels and tires, ended up out about $300 for new wheels and tires!
Attached Thumbnails
Quest to Color Match Arizona Beige Bumpers-after.jpg  

Last edited by rotortrash; 03-25-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

FWIW, if you get a higher quality paint and the right type, it'd be tougher and more resilient to rock chips. This looks good too though I went through the same thing when I was getting my new bumper coated. Hope it all works well for you!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo25 View Post
^^^ is that with the vinyl or as it sits? I plasti dipped my valence but without the gloss doesn't seem to match the rest up close. Looks good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's as it sits right now. Vinyl should be here in a couple days. I'll do the whole lower portion of the truck and will post pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotortrash View Post
Sounds like a good solution that should look good and last quite a while.

If you want to change out to a painted bumper at a later date, I was able to find a bumper from an F450 work truck for $100 (painted, not chrome). Had both it and my new 08 rear bumper painted for $150. I replaced both in a day, so no down time. Put both chrome bumpers on c-list, and recouped a good portion of my cash. Also did some trading for a new grill, to complete the painted look.

If it weren't for the barter system, the wife wouldn't go for big mods.

Rock chips havent been bad at all in the painted stuff, but I don't drive it a lot and they've only been on there for about a year.

Heres a pic the day I put the wheels on, before center caps. Also bartered for wheels and tires, ended up out about $300 for new wheels and tires!
If I don't end up liking how the vinyl wrap turns out, I'll end up buying a cheap painted bumper and have it powdercoated. I've got three rear bumpers right now...
Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

The 3M Gloss Charcoal Metallic vinyl arrived today. The crappy iPhone pics don't do it justice. I'm so excited to get this put on! The color against the blue provides less of a contrast than the Arizona Beige and pulls in my black accents (lights, wheels, etc). And the metallic flake in the vinyl looks great in the sun!

If I can borrow a decent camera, I'll take some high res photos once it's done. This is going to look great!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

dang man that'll look sharp as a whole package!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.