DIY spray in bed liner, U-pol Raptor and LED bed lighting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY spray in bed liner, U-pol Raptor and LED bed lighting

If anyone here is looking into a spray in bed liner then I would really suggest looking into the U-Pol Rapter bed liner. After researching it and seeing all of the jeep guys love it and put it thru all kinds of abuse, I figured its good for me. The hardest part was sanding the bed all down. Now on to the pics

I started off by removing the bed liner and found a hole lot of **** under there. Mostly leaves and mold from the water but also found some rust spots.

I cleaned and scrubbed the whole inside with simple green and got all of the crap out.

After that I sanded the whole bed down and hit all the areas with primer where I went thru to bare metal.

I masked everything off and put a tent up because the leaves were falling like crazy.

I sprayed the whole thing with raptor bed liner and this pic is immediately after I got done. you can see its looks a little uneven but after it drys it is all uniform finish.

After the coating dried I installed two 24in led strip lights under the bed rail

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Job well done

That turned out really nice. Good job!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
looks good man! I bet people were wondering what the heck was up with the tent you were backed under.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmccolley View Post
That turned out really nice. Good job!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
looks good man! I bet people were wondering what the heck was up with the tent you were backed under.
Hahah my neighbors don't even question anymore, they know I'm always working on something.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Roll Tide Nation!!!

How are your led strips powered? I had led lighting in my last truck and absolutely loved it. Want to do the same for this one. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks great! I finally got my bed lights in also. To answer the question above, I ran a 2 conductor wire (one to battery, one to upfitter) to a 3 way switch in the bed so it can be (on-off-on with upfitter). It works slick

john galt and bgraiders323 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to trophy_23 For This Useful Post:
J_BAKE_04_PSD (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Roll Tide Nation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy_23 View Post
Looks great! I finally got my bed lights in also. To answer the question above, I ran a 2 conductor wire (one to battery, one to upfitter) to a 3 way switch in the bed so it can be (on-off-on with upfitter). It works slick
would you happen to have a pic of the switch and where it's mounted?

On my other truck, the relay was tucked behind the passenger tail light which connected to a spring switch (don't know if that's what it's called actually...lol) when pressed in would kill the power to the lights. Had to drill a hole for it to mount onto the body of the truck and where the tailgate would press the switch in when closed.

If I could do something differently, I would have installed a switch to toggle it on and off. Don't always need it on when the tail gate is down... THANKS!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_BAKE_04_PSD View Post
would you happen to have a pic of the switch and where it's mounted?

On my other truck, the relay was tucked behind the passenger tail light which connected to a spring switch (don't know if that's what it's called actually...lol) when pressed in would kill the power to the lights. Had to drill a hole for it to mount onto the body of the truck and where the tailgate would press the switch in when closed.

If I could do something differently, I would have installed a switch to toggle it on and off. Don't always need it on when the tail gate is down... THANKS!!!
I found a waterproof 3 way rocker switch online and it fit perfect in the existing hole in the bed. I was able to make all of the connections through the stake pocket in the bed rail and through the tail light. Up = upfitter controlled, middle = off, down = on

Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

looks nice I really like the led strips very cool effect.
I need to get around to wiring in my shell so the third brake light and interior lights work. for now I just have a battery powered camper light in the shell ... problem is it works too good you dont see it it is easy to find in the dark and out of the way. PLUS my mother inlaw gave it to me years ago before she passed so it is kinda like a silly memory thing.
soooo.... i just havent gotten around to any "upgrading" yet
Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Maybe one of you guys can do a write up on DIY install bed lights!!

LOL cause I want to do it!!!! PLEASE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.