Time for a face lift on the 03! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM
KCCO

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for a face lift on the 03!

Well, I can hardly contain how excited I am. I'm finally doing the 05-07 front conversion on my 03.

I think I got a pretty good deal. I paid $200 for everything below... plus a 10 hour round trip drive to get them. Everything is from an 06 and all factory stuff. Since I had to drive 10 hours for all this, I took the wife's car and she took the truck to work( ). So now I have to wait till tomorrow to do the conversion.

I got:

Front bumper with the plastic vallance pieces or whatever that stuff is
Bumper brackets
Grille
Header panel

Factory upfitter switches
Factory trailer brake controller
Harness
lower dash (color matched )

Needless to say I'm excited and cant wait until tomorrow to do the swap!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
KCCO

Well, like usual... in the heat of the moment excitement, I now realize that I forgot to grab the trash bag hook and cup holders, which from my quick little research, it appears that they are different than the ones in my 03. OOPS! oh well. shouldn't be too terribly difficult to find though.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any update? Would love to see the outcome.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nice deal for all that stuff! I've been planning on doing the front end conversion for awhile now, my truck is kinda a b*stard child it has 07 badges, 2011 box and 2011 tailgate but I still have the o3 front end and I cant stand it, doing Harley headlights and paint matched green grill with the same bumper you just picked up with the paintable top cap, let us know how you make out and post up some pics!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im really curious about this as I already did the front end conversion on my '02....looking to see how your interior comes out!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
also interested in the interior but I think im going with riff raffs F650 dash mod, I like the look of it.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM
KCCO

Update

Trying to get the switches figured out. I just can't seem to find the right information or I'm not looking in the right place. With just plugging the upfitter harness into the spot in the fuse block, only switch #2 has power. The other three don't. From my research i have to splice into a couple more wires, but I cant figure out where to find the information I need or just how to do it in general. It's getting pretty frustrating. When It's all said and done, I'll try and add some helpful hints or something for others wanting to do this. The lower dash panel isn't a straight swap and go either. Minor trimming is needed on the dash and panel for it to fit right.

As for the front end, I got the bumper and grille on, but apparently I can't use the 03 lights on the 05 header panel, so I'm still stuck with the 03 header panel and lights. And that of course means the lower portion of the grille has to be zip tied down until I can get the 05 header panel installed with the lights.

All in all, i don't know if i just didn't do enough research as I should have, or if its really not as easy as what people say. I mean, it is fairly simple, but it definitely is not just plug and play and swap out a couple bolts as it seems people always say it is.

At any rate,here are a couple pictures of the progress.

Picture of the front:

Picture of why the 05 header panel is needed. Lower portion of grille would clip in those slots on the 05 panel, they are just lower.

Dash panel. Color isnt perfect,but because of the glare of the sun, it looks worse that it actually is

Again, nothing major, but one example of how some of the holes dont match up and need drilled.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looking good!

Here's how my 02 turned out using the 99-04 header panel. The lower part of the grille has been loose for about 4 years now. I just haven't got around to securing it, and it really hasn't proven to be an issue yet.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
KCCO

Switches are all factory install and work!!!

Finally got my switches figured out and they all work as they should! The problem for switch #1 was easy...no fuse in location 108. Added fuse and fixed issue. #3 and #4 still had no power.

For reference, Fuse 108 is switch #1, Fuse 109 is switch #2, Fuse 3 is switch #3, and Fuse #5 is switch #4.

Fuses 108 and 109 will work to power the switches (assuming fuses are installed) no problem at all. The problem comes in with fuse 3 and 5. If you look in your fuse box, you will see that those two fuse locations have no circuits for fuses at all. This is where it gets fun and I had an idea.

I got thinking, I wonder if I can just pull the fuse block apart, and make it work. Turns out I can and it is very simple. I just pulled it apart, and saw that the fuse block is already wired and pinned for the fuses, it just didn't have the connections on the pins.

So for the time being, I borrowed the slip on connections from fuse 1 (adjusted pedals) and fuse 4 (power point - instrument panel). Before putting it back together, I use a multi meter to check and make sure that the plug on the back where the upfitter harness plugs into, was actually linked to fuse 3 and 5. Once satisfied it was, I put it all back together and tested it. Works like a charm! I am going to work on a write up to help make things a little simpler for people. A lot of the information is out there, but nobody that I could find specified exactly what fuse was for what, blah blah blah. They all just said "put fuse in, it worked, blah blah" never told exactly what fuse. At any rate, all is well now! The best part, everything is 100%b factory wired in.

Last edited by KMC_A55; 01-18-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
KCCO

Got all my old front end stuff sold, and the new Harley style headlights ordered and new fog lights/brackets ordered. Everything should be here no later than Monday of next week, I'll be sure and post up some 100 percent completion pics next week as soon as I get it all done.
The Following User Says Thank You to KMC_A55 For This Useful Post:
BWILLARD (04-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.