Front Leaf Spring Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Leaf Spring Questions

Ive been chasing a front end noise for the past 2 months. In that time, ive spent a lot of time under the front of the truck.

My truck currently has a 2inch add a leaf in it, and to be honest my front springs look like their time has come. as with the add a leaf. Truck is a plow truck so it has heavy plow on the front, it still holds it great but i feel its time to change. Plus now that the last thing on my list to replace is the leaf springs for my noise, i have a feeling those bushing are shot as well.

I want to keep the truck workable, i dont want a lifted truck, never realy got into them as much, i like the way the truck looks with about 2-3 inchs of spring lift and 2-3 of summer tire lift. aka where it sits now.

My questions are:
-What is a better option for getting about 2.5/3inch of lift and replacing the springs? And maybe adding a mini pack down the road or right away.
-What does the X-Code spring lift the truck?
-Is the Tuff Country 2.5in level kit (replaces the springs) worth it, can they handle the weight of a plow? Are there other options?
-Is the Tuff Country 2.5in level kit Mini Leaf Pack a worth wild option and are they good to help with weight good to match with say the XCodes.

During the winter i run a smaller tire ie 285/75/16 so fitmant isnt an issue, but i do plan on getting new 20inch rims and tires for the summer and id like to try to squeeze 35s on them

Also getting the truck to sit just about level with the rear will not be a concern because i have an add a leaf in the rear spring pack and 2.5inch block. also have a 3.5inch block if i need and air bags are going in this summer so im not worried about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM

i would stay away from lift kit offroad springs, most of the time they are a softer spring, and with the extra weight you have on the front your going to sag them out fast.

the x code springs have a load rate of 2600lbs,
you can find after market springs with more. here is a spring with with 3900lb rate
LINK

another good option you can do is something we do in the offroad world is put a zero rate block/add-a-leaf under the springs, these are just a 1" block of steel or aluminum,
they are safe because they actually bolt to the spring pack, and they do not change any of the spring rates, but will give you a 1" lift. and can be ran on front or rear.
LINK

on my OBS I ran a true add-a-leaf and a zero rate and it gave me about 3+" of lift on factory springs,
Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucknut View Post
i would stay away from lift kit offroad springs, most of the time they are a softer spring, and with the extra weight you have on the front your going to sag them out fast.

the x code springs have a load rate of 2600lbs,
you can find after market springs with more. here is a spring with with 3900lb rate
LINK

another good option you can do is something we do in the offroad world is put a zero rate block/add-a-leaf under the springs, these are just a 1" block of steel or aluminum,
they are safe because they actually bolt to the spring pack, and they do not change any of the spring rates, but will give you a 1" lift. and can be ran on front or rear.
LINK

on my OBS I ran a true add-a-leaf and a zero rate and it gave me about 3+" of lift on factory springs,
I really like the option of the 3 leaf front after market springs. My only concern is if they will provide any lift at all.

My thinking would be to run the 3leaf front spring with the Tuff Country 2.5 mini leaf leveling kit. That way i have the weight carrying capabilities and the lift i want. My concern again goes back to the orginal lift the after market springs will provide. dont want to do be tearing it apart but once.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM

you can contact general spring in the link and see if they can tell you the un-compressed and compressed heights,

I know x code springs will only lift the truck about .5" from the other factory springs, but you'll see up to 1.5" lift from them if your springs are sagged out already.

the 3leaf springpack is 9/16" thicker than the x codes because of the extra spring,

but I would contact general and see what their specs are.

and on another note your truck will ride like a brick in the summer when the plow is pulled off the front.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Already rides like a brick. I dont think there is such thing as comfortable ride and able to handle weight unless you have money for atlas springs....

Ill contact them and find out.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Contacted General Spring. They told me that it will lift the truck 2.5 over stock.

Now to find out what the factory trucks sat at height wise to see where mine is and to see if need to add more to that or just a 1inch block. Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Have you looked at the Zone leveling kit? it says it is 2.5". When I installed mine it brought it up 3.5-4". You could always go get new springs and put the zone kit under it.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM

I need new springs first. one they are getting weak and starting to sag and two i beleive thats my noise.

Im thinking about doing the General Springs 3pack leafs plus the 1 inch block. that will give me an overall lift of like 3.5inchs, which if the measurements ive got off online (never measured before) would be like 2inch more and put me where i want. and i can put my 3.5inch block back in and be happy when the summer comes around and i can run 35s
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM

If you're looking to get rid of the the noise I don't think the springs will do it. They usually don't make a noise other than a springy sounds. If you're getting a thumping sound, it might be the sway bar, take it off and check the ball joints. If it's really bad it will have a lot of play with out removal. Keep us posted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.