F550 lift and rim and tire question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 lift and rim and tire question

Hi guys,this is my first post. I have a 03 f550, I was wondering if any body has done a lift and different rims other than 19.5 wheels but still handle heavy loads. I have a flat deck and on it are a 30 gallon air compressor, a Miller bobcat 250, a 3200lb autocrane and all my tools. I'm a heavy duty mechanic and some of the places I goto, I need a good offroad tires and a lift. Any help would b appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There is a guy around me, he seems to take the opposite way home than I do, that has a lifted F550 with a wood deck and a welder on it. Thing is BAD *** - I only see him on the other side of the highway every once in a while but man the sh*t is huge
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerod View Post
Hi guys,this is my first post. I have a 03 f550, I was wondering if any body has done a lift and different rims other than 19.5 wheels but still handle heavy loads. I have a flat deck and on it are a 30 gallon air compressor, a Miller bobcat 250, a 3200lb autocrane and all my tools. I'm a heavy duty mechanic and some of the places I goto, I need a good offroad tires and a lift. Any help would b appreciated.
I've got a 550 that I am getting ready to lift and put some 22.5's on it.
I've already got my rims, tires and 10x10 adapters. My lift should be here this week and will be putting everything together next weekend. I've got a steel flat bed. I've got a Bobcat loader and excavator that I tow everywhere.
I've got a 05 so my lift has to be somewhat pieced together. i've had to do alot of research to find what will work and what will not fit. Add to the mix I have a Kelderman rear air ride which has made it a little harder.
I am going with 2.5 inches of lift to start. Only want minimal lift cause I still have to get in and out of the truck alot. The tires alone will lift the truck up almost 3 inches. I have 255/70/22.5 Sumitumo ST 727's for the front and St908's for the back. They measure 36.5 inches. I'll go up another inch or so if I need to.
Some advice on the 10x10 adapters. The American Force adapters bolt onto the hubs similar to the way a tires mounts. The bore on the adapter is larger than a standard 22.5 Alcoa or Accuride. This would require you to machine out the rim to fit over their adapter. If you run an American Force rim the will fit properly. I wanted to keep my Alcoa Durabrghts stock in case I needed to sell them off. I went with Tennessee Wheel and Tire for my adapters. They require you to remove your wheel studs and press them into their adapters inverted and then bolt them back onto the hubs. The stock wheel nuts are then on the back side of the hub. This allows you to bolt a standard 22.5 on the adapter without machining it. Adapters are $1300 shipped to your door.
I've got a few heavy truck mechanics around here running the same size tire on their 02 and 03 F-550's running them with no lift only minor trimming. They are running full tool beds, auto cranes and lift gates.
Let me know if I can help. I will be posting up my project here soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks 5fifty, can't wait to see your beast. Pics please or maybe do a buildup tread? Unfortunately my head gasket finally gave up (not bad,450,000km) and I'm going to bulletproof the damn thing. I guess Xmas is going to b expensive for me.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerod View Post
Thanks 5fifty, can't wait to see your beast. Pics please or maybe do a buildup tread? Unfortunately my head gasket finally gave up (not bad,450,000km) and I'm going to bulletproof the damn thing. I guess Xmas is going to b expensive for me.
I will be starting a build up thread soon. I haven't got a my suspension parts in yet. Rim, tires and adapters are stacked up and waiting. Going to do ball joints and wheel bearings at the same time. My chassis has 175k miles so it is time for some maintenance.
I hear ya on the the bulletproofing. Mine let go about 12k miles ago so I did everything then. I was getting ready to do my 22.5's and front end right when my gaskets went.
Should be pretty cool when everything is done. I will keep you updated.
I would have got started sooner but I have been slammed with work and had the flu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.