Painting rockers and wheel wells with Herculiner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Painting rockers and wheel wells with Herculiner

Hey everyone, I'm considering painting my rockers and wheel wells with Herculiner. I've done quite a bit of research into the matter, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I know its all in the prep work, but my only concern is, I've got some rust on my wheel wells, and the bottom of my doors are showing some rust as well. So I'm worried that it'll create an issue after I use the liner. If I sand the body down and sand away any visible rust, then neutralize it, I should be okay then correct?

My other question is then, whats the best product to go with to neutralize the rust then paint over with? I've heard some things about Ospho and others. Anyone had luck with any specific product? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hsix60h View Post
Hey everyone, I'm considering painting my rockers and wheel wells with Herculiner. I've done quite a bit of research into the matter, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I know its all in the prep work, but my only concern is, I've got some rust on my wheel wells, and the bottom of my doors are showing some rust as well. So I'm worried that it'll create an issue after I use the liner. If I sand the body down and sand away any visible rust, then neutralize it, I should be okay then correct?

My other question is then, whats the best product to go with to neutralize the rust then paint over with? I've heard some things about Ospho and others. Anyone had luck with any specific product? Thanks in advance for any input!
I am tackling the same thing with my truck. Rusted completely thru on my rear fenders, had to cut them out. The problem is, the rust is working its way from the inside out. You have to get inside and neutralize it. Out here there is a company that has a neutralizer that they spray on the inside of the vehicle, inside the doors, tailgates, fenders, rockers, and so forth.

I just cut out the rust on my fenders and sealed it. Going to spray and oil on the inside of the fenders for now. Bought some Bushwacker OE styler flares, and going to bed line (using the herculiner roll on) the bottom part of my truck including the fender flares. Then I am going to that company (Ziebart) getting a full rust inhibiter/undercoat and have them spray in all the openings with that neutralizer.

It's a lengthy and costly fix, BUT I HATE RUST!!! lol

Good luck with yours! Ill keep updating with my progress.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Semper Fi

There are a few threads on this subject. You might want to check out what PoPo did here:

Rhino line rocker panels

I'm not sure if he did the wheel wells, but I've been considering doing the same thing. I want the rocker panels, wheel wells, and the bottom inside of my doors done. Heck, if I could, I'd do the entire undercarriage.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Awesome, thanks for the share. I'm just concerned about the rust atm. I'd love to go all the way to the body line all the way around and get the wheel wells as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 AM

So I ended up doing it this past weekend. I used Duplicolor Bed Armor. I think it ended up coming out nice, but if I were to do it again, I would probably just use the Duplicolor bed liner.

I tapped it off and went to town sanding, enough just to rough it up and clean it really good. I rolled on 2 coats, and also rolled on 2 coats on the the fender flares. The stuff is paintable and you can layer it at any time. So I might end up with another coat on it.

Over all I think it looks good, managed to sand out the rust and seal and cover up the cut out I had to do because of rust.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom-3k View Post
So I ended up doing it this past weekend. I used Duplicolor Bed Armor. I think it ended up coming out nice, but if I were to do it again, I would probably just use the Duplicolor bed liner.

I tapped it off and went to town sanding, enough just to rough it up and clean it really good. I rolled on 2 coats, and also rolled on 2 coats on the the fender flares. The stuff is paintable and you can layer it at any time. So I might end up with another coat on it.

Over all I think it looks good, managed to sand out the rust and seal and cover up the cut out I had to do because of rust.

Very nice! So the fender flares were able to fit onto the truck over the liner?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hsix60h View Post
Very nice! So the fender flares were able to fit onto the truck over the liner?
Yup! I did a lot of research on the flares, needed to find ones that I knew would cover up my cut out after I sealed it with bedliner. I also knew the Bushwacker flares are a good brand to stick with, the molding to the truck and what not. When I installed them, they "hugged" the truck very nice. There is a rubber gasket/sealer that goes on the edge of the flare that meets the truck body as well. I can't wait till I can afford to get the front ones!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Really the best thing to neutralize rust is to sand it off but there are products out there that do neutralize well. the best type being the jelly that you need to clean off after it works then prime.

I will suggest Raptor Liner i did it to my truck and i like the texture much better than hurculiner's, rough enough you could cut yourself.

another brand of fender flares would be Stampede this part number should be the ones if you want pocket style, 8404-2. my
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

+1 for raptor liner. Much better and even texture. I did my rocker panels and wheel wells after sanding and POR15. Its a two part mixture that I sprayed at 65psi. Looking at the above pictures, I'd be stripping it down and doing it again. Looks like you mixed in pebbles when you rolled it on!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_gofast View Post
+1 for raptor liner. Much better and even texture. I did my rocker panels and wheel wells after sanding and POR15. Its a two part mixture that I sprayed at 65psi. Looking at the above pictures, I'd be stripping it down and doing it again. Looks like you mixed in pebbles when you rolled it on!
That is the, unfortunate, but it is part of the bed liner. As I said, I wasn't to sure on the "Bed Armor" instead of the regular Duplicolor Bed Liner. The spots you see are kevlar/rubber pieces that would give a bed liner a no stick and rough surface.

This is all great for a bed liner, but I'm not real set on using it as I did. I would use the regular Duplicolor Bed Liner. I did the prep work correctly, sanded down any rust I found too. I like it, but not 100% on it. They say it is paintable, so maybe down the road a gloss black or paint matched paint will go over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.