Camper Shells - Who has them, and which one(s) do you like? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Camper Shells - Who has them, and which one(s) do you like?

Howdy everyone -

I've been looking at camper shells lately and am wondering what everyone is running out there. I've looked at several different companies, but each one has about 10 different models so it's hard to get a good comparison.

What brand/model are you guys running? What are your likes/dislikes? Would you get the same one again? How easy it is to take on/off?

I do know that I don't want/need a rack on top, as I won't be hauling any bikes or anything up there. I also don't want one that opens on the sides; I only need the rear flip up window. I've looked at a lot of Leer models online, as well as SnugTop and A.R.E. I couldn't tell you the difference between them though, other than some models costing more than others.

I'll probably end up going somewhere in the middle as far as price; I don't necessarily want a top of the line model, but I want something better than the base. I plan on keeping it on most of the time, but will be removing it for some occasions.

FYI, this will be going on a 2006 F250 shortbed. Post some pictures up if you have some.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
I dont have one yet but i am looking to get a ARE for our Sema build
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an ARE Z-series. I picked that one for a few reasons.
1. No exterior bolts or plugs on glass(sleek look)
2. Carpeted interior
3. Flip down front widow so I can clean the glass or vent really good for the dog
4. Power lock in the glass flip up door that prevents tailgate from opening. Granted a hammer is all people need to get in the back of my truck but it keeps honest people honest...
Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How does the power lock work? Do you have a separate clicker for it? I like the sound of that, since my tailgate lock is broken (I think it was replaced with a junkyard handle before I bought it, so the key does not work in it.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

been looking at the are's when i get some money, i want the one with the flip out front window and roof rack system, think they look nice and decently priced.

for now i just have $200 craiglist one, not sure on brand but it seems to be built nice,

its from a obs power stroke, so figure there is some money in it when i decide to sell it and upgrade

have you looked on Craigslist, sound like you want the base model/contractor top

and all of them are going to be the same on taking them on or off, the all usually come with the c-clamp mounts, or you can set it up like mine, i have 4 harbor frieght c-clamp that i can unscrew by hand and remove if i want to take it off on each side, or like my grandfathers who was afraid it was going to blow of his truck and drill holes and bolted to the bed haha

Last edited by alaskan155; 08-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Americraft… painted to match factory color, sides that are molded over the bedrails, flip up side windows, interior lights, top height matches cab, looks like it rolled off the assembly line attached to the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM

I have an ARE Z-Series. Very nice setup. It is however, VERY heavy! Not something that is easily moved around....LOL

Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Keep an eye on craigslist. That is where I found mine, was just a mile from my work!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
How does the power lock work? Do you have a separate clicker for it? I like the sound of that, since my tailgate lock is broken (I think it was replaced with a junkyard handle before I bought it, so the key does not work in it.
It uses the existing keypad and operates lick a passenger door. Double unlock unlocks it

It taps into the existing wires by the drivers seat and you run wires back to the glass. Well if you get it from a are dealer they will do that for you.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Leer model 100XQ painted to match. I am not a big fan of camper shells but this was on the truck when I got it and I haven't cared to remove it yet. I like it because it has relatively dark glass but I have had problems of it locking itself...I hope its not haunted
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Shells - Who has them, and which one(s) do you like?-detailed2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.