Camper Shells - Who has them, and which one(s) do you like? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Camper Shells - Who has them, and which one(s) do you like?

Howdy everyone -

I've been looking at camper shells lately and am wondering what everyone is running out there. I've looked at several different companies, but each one has about 10 different models so it's hard to get a good comparison.

What brand/model are you guys running? What are your likes/dislikes? Would you get the same one again? How easy it is to take on/off?

I do know that I don't want/need a rack on top, as I won't be hauling any bikes or anything up there. I also don't want one that opens on the sides; I only need the rear flip up window. I've looked at a lot of Leer models online, as well as SnugTop and A.R.E. I couldn't tell you the difference between them though, other than some models costing more than others.

I'll probably end up going somewhere in the middle as far as price; I don't necessarily want a top of the line model, but I want something better than the base. I plan on keeping it on most of the time, but will be removing it for some occasions.

FYI, this will be going on a 2006 F250 shortbed. Post some pictures up if you have some.

Thanks!

MTW Stage 1
4" MBRP Exhaust
SCT Custom Tunes
Stock TTY Head Bolts
post #2 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
I dont have one yet but i am looking to get a ARE for our Sema build
post #3 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have an ARE Z-series. I picked that one for a few reasons.
1. No exterior bolts or plugs on glass(sleek look)
2. Carpeted interior
3. Flip down front widow so I can clean the glass or vent really good for the dog
4. Power lock in the glass flip up door that prevents tailgate from opening. Granted a hammer is all people need to get in the back of my truck but it keeps honest people honest...
mtpolarbear likes this.

06 350 CCLB
Edge CTS
Up-Pipes by Cutting Edge
ARP's
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
Coolant filter
post #4 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How does the power lock work? Do you have a separate clicker for it? I like the sound of that, since my tailgate lock is broken (I think it was replaced with a junkyard handle before I bought it, so the key does not work in it.

MTW Stage 1
4" MBRP Exhaust
SCT Custom Tunes
Stock TTY Head Bolts
post #5 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
been looking at the are's when i get some money, i want the one with the flip out front window and roof rack system, think they look nice and decently priced.

for now i just have $200 craiglist one, not sure on brand but it seems to be built nice,

its from a obs power stroke, so figure there is some money in it when i decide to sell it and upgrade

have you looked on Craigslist, sound like you want the base model/contractor top

and all of them are going to be the same on taking them on or off, the all usually come with the c-clamp mounts, or you can set it up like mine, i have 4 harbor frieght c-clamp that i can unscrew by hand and remove if i want to take it off on each side, or like my grandfathers who was afraid it was going to blow of his truck and drill holes and bolted to the bed haha

2002 F250 7.3/JW Tow master 4r100 206k miles
Mods:explorer heater valve, WR GP relay, RiffRAff boots, lariat overhead console, Hydra chip, 6637 mod, 6.0 cooler, AIH delete and isspro2 trans, egt, and boost gauges. 92 gallon aux tank with a total capacity of 130gallons, 1800 mile range , 4" MBRP straight Piped. 2" Warrior shackles

Last edited by alaskan155; 08-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Americraft… painted to match factory color, sides that are molded over the bedrails, flip up side windows, interior lights, top height matches cab, looks like it rolled off the assembly line attached to the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 Lariat CCSB
Stock Motor
115,500 miles
edge insight cts
coolant pressure gauge in cab
high idle mod
muffler delete
cat delete
IPR coolant filter
EGR welded shut
post #7 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I have an ARE Z-Series. Very nice setup. It is however, VERY heavy! Not something that is easily moved around....LOL

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Keep an eye on craigslist. That is where I found mine, was just a mile from my work!

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
How does the power lock work? Do you have a separate clicker for it? I like the sound of that, since my tailgate lock is broken (I think it was replaced with a junkyard handle before I bought it, so the key does not work in it.
It uses the existing keypad and operates lick a passenger door. Double unlock unlocks it

It taps into the existing wires by the drivers seat and you run wires back to the glass. Well if you get it from a are dealer they will do that for you.

06 350 CCLB
Edge CTS
Up-Pipes by Cutting Edge
ARP's
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
Coolant filter
post #10 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Leer model 100XQ painted to match. I am not a big fan of camper shells but this was on the truck when I got it and I haven't cared to remove it yet. I like it because it has relatively dark glass but I have had problems of it locking itself...I hope its not haunted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detailed2.jpg
Views:	3155
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	154802  

"Pickle Monster"
2004 F-350 King Ranch built 3/24/04
4" lift, 5" MBRP TB back exhaust
EGR MIA ,ported intake, 05-07 intake horn
CCSB
FX4
Firestone airbag suspension in the rear with on-board compressor
Monitored with Edge Insight CS, tuned by Gearhead
high idle mod, Atlas 40 FICM tune, Cat ELC,
2008 taillights, 08 mirrors, smoked marker lights, harpooned fuel tank, DIY headache rack, Bushwacker fender flares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode