Tire rating question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire rating question

So, it's that time where I'm considering tires for my rig. Now, I currently have E rated tires and I know the trucks are supposed to have E rated tires on them but my question's centered around the max allowable load of the tires when compared to the max allowable load of the wheel the tire is on and the affects of towing heavy with them.

So the wheels I'm looking at are the Diamo 17 Karat 17x10 and they're rated at 3,200 lbs. The tires I am looking at are rated at 3,305 lbs at 50 psi but the tires are D rated with an 8-ply sidewall. My question is, if the tire is rated higher than the wheel, is there really an issue with the fact that they aren't E rated? I mean I'll be towing a toy hauler that will have a pin weight of 2,000lbs...roughly but nothing extreme. Would I really be playing with fire or do I need to stick with E rated just cause everyone says so? Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

The biggest reason I ask is this is because if the rating really is that important, then it changes it the type and size of the tire I purchase. Just curious on everyone's input and maybe even Rob (JetJock15) will chime in as he definitely tows heavy and I know he's experienced a cracked rim.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

go by the weight on the tire.. we just went through this on my truck were i had 3195 and crew cabs should have atleast 3500+lbs... we were told to look at the rear wight says it on the door tag and divide by 2 and thatll give you how many lbs for each rear tire. should be around 7000 for the rear weight

... town fair tire just had to put all 4 new tires on my truck for free cause they put an under rated tire on my truck

Last edited by busaandy; 07-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was actually told today that while they put under rated tires on these trucks all the time it actually voids the warranty for the tires to do so.
SO
I am trying to figure out where to go from here with that little tid bit on knowledge
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you bought them from a tire place they have to sell you the same rating as stock otherwise its a huge liability for the place you bought them from.. they could be sued if something ever happen.. i guess its happen before... so they had no questions when we complained after pissing through tires and have a almost blow out.... they have replaced the tires on my truck and 3 of my friends..
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaandy View Post
go by the weight on the tire.. we just went through this on my truck were i had 3195 and crew cabs should have atleast 3500+lbs... we were told to look at the rear wight says it on the door tag and divide by 2 and thatll give you how many lbs for each rear tire. should be around 7000 for the rear weight

... town fair tire just had to put all 4 new tires on my truck for free cause they put an under rated tire on my truck
I don't have a door tag on my truck with any of that information as my truck had been wrecked before I purchased it and when they replaced the door, they didn't replace the door tag. What is the basis for the 7,000 for the rear? I'm lucky if my truck clears 7,800 lbs total and it's a crew cab. My point is the tire I'm looking at is rated at 3,305 lbs so really, how much I'm I losing out on at 200 lbs per tire if the crew cab is supposed to have 3,500???

Not to mention I'm trying to understand how we can have a tire rated at 3,500 and a wheel rated at 3,100. It would seem like the wheel would be the weak link so by that, can I surmise that I have to have a wheel at least capable of 3,500 as well?

Last edited by onebadcoastie; 07-20-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ive been told there checking the tires if a crash ever happens and if the tires are not within there weight for the truck they can fight you for insurance money.. not sure how true it is but does make since if your over loaded...

toyo told me. youll wear tires out a lot faster being "over weight"..
call the tire company and ask them for your best answer..

cclb i think are 11,500
ccsb are 9,999 lol
not sure what the rear weight is..
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
ive been told there checking the tires if a crash ever happens and if the tires are not within there weight for the truck they can fight you for insurance money.. not sure how true it is but does make since if your over loaded...

cclb i think are 11,500
ccsb are 9,999 lol
That's interesting. I'm still curious about those last numbers you posted mean though??? PLus by not having a door tag, guess that makes me safe. hahaha

Last edited by onebadcoastie; 07-20-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The last shop I worked at was a Commercial Tire here in La Grande, and I left there after being the assistant manager for 3 years. You're on the right track Shack, and Busaandy is pretty spot on with some of his observations too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
So, it's that time where I'm considering tires for my rig. Now, I currently have E rated tires and I know the trucks are supposed to have E rated tires on them but my question's centered around the max allowable load of the tires when compared to the max allowable load of the wheel the tire is on and the affects of towing heavy with them.

So the wheels I'm looking at are the Diamo 17 Karat 17x10 and they're rated at 3,200 lbs. The tires I am looking at are rated at 3,305 lbs at 50 psi but the tires are D rated with an 8-ply sidewall.

First thing's first, as this will help you a lot in tire decisions. The old school way of measuring tire plies was 2 plies for every letter of the alphabet (B=2 ply, C=6, D=8, E=10)...HOWEVER, this no longer applies and hasn't for many years. Because of new technology, tire companies can build a tire with only 6 body plies that will hold the same weight than an old school true 10 ply tire would SO my point in this is that saying an E rated tire is 10 plies and a D is 8 doesn't apply anymore. If you really want to know how many plies there truly are, it's always printed/grooved into the sidewall.

My question is, if the tire is rated higher than the wheel, is there really an issue with the fact that they aren't E rated? I mean I'll be towing a toy hauler that will have a pin weight of 2,000lbs...roughly but nothing extreme. Would I really be playing with fire or do I need to stick with E rated just cause everyone says so? Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

No there shouldn't be an issue that they're not E rated. However, some food for thought if you will; you should really know what is going to be the weight over the rear tires. Especially with the tire being able to hold more than the wheel, now you're playing with cracked/exploded wheel territory.

The biggest reason I ask is this is because if the rating really is that important, then it changes it the type and size of the tire I purchase. Just curious on everyone's input and maybe even Rob (JetJock15) will chime in as he definitely tows heavy and I know he's experienced a cracked rim.

Thanks!
Quote:
if you bought them from a tire place they have to sell you the same rating as stock otherwise its a huge liability for the place you bought them from.. they could be sued if something ever happen.. i guess its happen before... so they had no questions when we complained after pissing through tires and have a almost blow out

True, but not 100% They have to sell you a tire that will carry the same amount of weight, but it does not have to have the same letter rating. If they sell you a tire that doesn't at least hold the same amount of weight per tire as the stock tire, no matter what rating it has (D or E) they are completely liable if any damage occurs due to the tires being unable to carry the weight the vehicle was designed for.... they have replaced the tires on my truck and 3 of my friends..
Quote:

Again, 100% completely true....your insurance company may not cover you because you're using sub-par equipment. They may still cover you, but like he said, it'll be a fight...It's like if you wanted them to pay for a broken window that had been replaced with plastic somewhere along the line.

cclb i think are 11,500
ccsb are 9,999 lol
The tire company I worked for had a few incidents like this when tire salesmen weren't paying attention and sold the customer an underrated tire. It mainly boils down to weight per tire....not necessarily the weight "rating." A 285/70 R 17 tire in an "E" rating will carry more weight than a 265/70 R 17 E rated tire but a 285/70 R 17 "D" rated tire may (depending on tire) carry the same weight as the 265/70 R 17. The letter rating can change with tire size, even if it carries the same weight per tire.

Either way back to your original question....if your "D" rated tires will hold up to 3300lbs, but your wheels only hold up to 3200lbs, then no it doesn't matter that those tires only carry a D rating....however if it were mine, I wouldn't want the wheel to be the weak point...I've seen a couple overloaded wheels come apart before and they do twice the damage that a blown out tire does.

Last edited by nighthawk285; 07-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
cclb i think are 11,500
ccsb are 9,999 lol
I still can't comprehend what the above numbers mean. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
The last shop I worked at was a Commercial Tire here in La Grande, and I left there after being the assistant manager for 3 years. You're on the right track Shack, and Busaandy is pretty spot on with some of his observations too.

The tire company I worked for had a few incidents like this when tire salesmen weren't paying attention and sold the customer an underrated tire. It mainly boils down to weight per tire....not necessarily the weight "rating." A 285/70 R 17 tire in an "E" rating will carry more weight than a 265/70 R 17 E rated tire but a 285/70 R 17 "D" rated tire may (depending on tire) carry the same weight as the 265/70 R 17. The letter rating can change with tire size, even if it carries the same weight per tire.

Either way back to your original question....if your "D" rated tires will hold up to 3300lbs, but your wheels only hold up to 3200lbs, then no it doesn't matter that those tires only carry a D rating....however if it were mine, I wouldn't want the wheel to be the weak point...I've seen a couple overloaded wheels come apart before and they do twice the damage that a blown out tire does.
With all that being said, there aren't a lot of choices for wheels that meet the same rating criteria as the tires. That makes it extremely difficult to find the "right" combination.

Oh and like I said, I don't have a door tag for them to go by. lol
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
With all that being said, there aren't a lot of choices for wheels that meet the same rating criteria as the tires. That makes it extremely difficult to find the "right" combination.

Oh and like I said, I don't have a door tag for them to go by. lol
Yeah I see what you mean. I think with your selections you'll be fine as safety for carrying the weight, I just personally wouldn't like the wheel to be the weak point.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.