Headlights disappointing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlights disappointing

I have always been disappointed with the GE H5054 sealed beams that are in my 2006 6.0L F350. The high beams are OK, but I have always thought the low beams are dim. What direct replacements would everyone recommend to improve the situation? I am not looking to create a lot of mods - just hoping for a better brand/make/model lamp that is a direct replacement.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sylvania Silverstars.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have sealed beams you may want to convert to the Lariat (don't know what else to call it) head lights and add factory fogs. I am fairly happy with my lows and fogs. If you do the swap stay away from Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. They are great in cars that like them but my truck eats them, like in less than 6 months. I've had other cars that they were short lived in as well. Once converted you could try a HID kit if you want even more light. I have run one for a short time and the HIDs looks as bright if not more so than my factory highs. I didn't get bright lighted either. If you go that route stay with a white temp range, not the blue or purple. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Hmmmm One vote for Silver Stars, one vote against.

Sargar: Do you think vibration is what is doing in your silverstars? Or just usage based burn-out? This is a work truck with a flat bed, 410 rears, tows trailers most of the time and rides like a tank. But I don't use the truck much - maybe 10K a year and mostly during the day. So burn out is not much of an issue as most people's 6 month burn out is my 2-3 year burn out. Vibration would be an issue though.

I am about to take two trips with a lot of night driving and I am done hating my headlamps. Something's gonna change. So without any other guidance I will give them a try - But I would love to hear some other experiences.

Thanks !

NCDiesel
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Find a way to get hids, they will blow your mind! Unless go with some outrageous purple color!

Gb
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Definite negative on the silverstars. Although they put out a very nice beam, they don't last very long for the price. Never lasted more than a year in my wife's Camry. Factory lights lasted 8 years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
Buy some "composite" headlight housings.. ie the lariat headlights that you can find on here pretty cheap in the for sale section and then Give Raul a call at Stealth Automotive.. also a vendor on our forums and get a nice set of HID's 5-7k color range. you will be very very happy with light output and probably have less than 250 dollars invested in everything.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Like a boss!

Just watched a video for baja designs led light bar. I was sold... But then I saw the price.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
Just watched a video for baja designs led light bar. I was sold... But then I saw the price.
yeah the LED lightbars are very nice but some of the prices make ya wanna pawn your first born... if you look around you can find LED lightbars for decent prices... just be patient... amazon is always a good place to look for them.. may not be "rigid" quality but leds are normally pretty stable and can take a beating.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM

I've had a set of silver star ultras that lasted 3 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.