Tire size for Sand dunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire size for Sand dunes

Ok, stock my titanic came with the 275 65 R20 GY AT's (pizza cutters). I'm wondering what is the narrowest tire our truck needs to get through sandy areas, like the dunes for instance. I live in FL and it's just miles of this crap off road.. miles and miles of sand trails. My 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme AT's are the most aggresive tire I'll be putting on, and in sand the smoother a tire is for the most part the better. (no MT's). So lets say comparing a stock CC/SB FX4 F150 which I believe comes with 275's... or 265's... and a stock FX4 F250 Diesel which comes with 275's. (let's assume both trucks have 33-35" tall tires), What tire size would get the F250 to the Fx4 F150 level in the sand? B/c weight is the issue here along with foot print, airing down etc I know.. but I'm trying to get an idea here to level the field. B/c if my 35x12.50's are overkill, and I can get away with some 285 BFG's, or 305 Toyos... Might do it for the MPG's and street manners.

B/c I never took it stock out there in the sand pits, b/c on those pizza cutters I was scared %&$*LESS about just sinking through the sand and getting stuck.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 03-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

for sand,...you want to "float" over it.

You want the widest, non aggressive tire possible....

Interco TrXus STS's

Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Exactly. I'm trying to get to the off-road ability, in the sand, of a stock FX4 F150. And to be honest, those Procomps are AGGRESSIVE. they have very very deep treads. However they ride awsome and are just as quiet as stock. You don't even know they are there. But they are HEAVY. Most AT's have like 16/32" tread depth, and these things have like 21/32". Looks like 3/4" to me... So in the name of not sending money to Arabia, and keeping the green backs in my wallet... I've been debating the 285 BFG AT's, or the 305 Toyota AT's, both have shallow (normal!) tread depth.

I guess my goal here is to upgrade from the factory as little as possible to keep up with some stock 2007 F150 FX4 buddies out there.

So the next step up from factory would be the 285 BFG AT's. How do they do on our trucks in the sand? still to skinny?

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 03-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

NObody? Figure someone would know what is a minimum tire size for these things in the sand...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

Nobody can answer because there are to many different types of sand.

F250's/350's weigh so damn much,..that you want the widest tire you can possibly fit,..if sand will be your main offroading preference.

And then you have to consider tires,...a tire that is great in the sand,...is gonna be worthless in mud.

Your question is hard to answer,...I don't want to tell you a random answer, and you end up with something you regret

Last edited by TANK'S 250; 03-27-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Rice Hunter

I took my stockers to Nags Head twice last year and was most ashamed!! Aired down so much I thought tires would roll off rims. I've run several BFG AT KO's on different trucks and have never been more happy on/off road. IMO nothing wears better

These rigs are HEAVY!! The wider the better IMO
hell,,,,nothing better than slicks in sand
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I run the beach sand here with 245s but get close to sinking in the dry fluffy stuff. i havent been stuck yet but if i went 285s i could float my truck on the sand here.
in the winter i like to run 235 cuz its hard to find 205s for my truck
Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 PM

so it's a balance act between sinking in the sand and having a tire to keep MPG's up. Great. so somewhere between a 285 and a 12.50. So 285, 305, 315 and 12.50. I'd say I'm on the widest spectrum for the factory 20" wheel. If it doesn't make it aired down on 35x12.50's then I'll just go back to 275's or narrower and stick to pavement and save my money at least. And if I take it out and it does TO well (yes, to well) then maybe I could go down 1 or 2 sizes. Going to be a lil R&D involved i guess.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

Tire size is only one of the things to consider,...the other is tire design.

I have 41" Iroks, on a 4.5" lift,.....and I will tell you,....IROKS don't like sand.

I get worried when I see a paved road with a "dusting" on sand on it,...Iroks dig,....and digging is no good for sand.

Now mud....that's a different story...lol...I let my Iroks EAT!!!!!

for those that think mud is "Icky"...here's some clean pics....lol

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

very nice truck buddy. Very nice offroad setup. I know all about the design of the tread, i'm sticking with AT's. BFG AT, Toyo open Country AT, Etc. nothing nutz. 12 miles away from your iroks lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.