All Terrian Tire Choice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All Terrian Tire Choice

So its time for a new set of tires unfortunatlly and that's where my problem begins. WHICH TIRE?
I know I want an all terrain tire of some sort. Pretty aggressive but no swamp crawler mud xtreme thing. Just an aggressive all terrain. I really wanna run about a 305/70/17 (sticking with stock rim) and I just wanted to see what you guys where running in this size or close. Do you like them? Tread life, flat problems, road noise and price.

Maybe even pics??
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Dont get BFG A/T!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 2000-7.3L; 05-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
Dont get BFG!!!!!!!!!
Really?? I've never heard anything but good things from the BFG AT KO. that's surprising and kinda disappointing seeing as how I was looking into them! Whats the reasoning if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM

I have had 3 sets of bfg's on both my excursions and LOVE them! ! I have gotten around 50, 000 miles on them and will always run them !!!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well my case may be different! My Father has a 2004 F250 SD gasser, we bought it to tow mine and his company trailer, loaded probly weighs in at 8-9K lbs. Those tire were brand new when we bought the truck. Didnt last us 3K miles and they were bald! They were 31x12x16 BFG all terrains, never buy another set again! We replaced them with some 35's and have them the past year and still look brand new!

I am running Kuhmo road venture A/T and i put them thru hell and back and smoke the rear ones off LOL
I will be buying another set of these because i think they are an excellent tire!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have used BFG's on several vehicles and have really liked them in all environments. That being said i would definitely steer anyone thinking about getting a fairly aggressive all terrain towards the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

BFG all terrains in 31/75-16s only come in a 8 ply where as the Duratracs are 10. I pull a 31 ft fifth wheel and wanted 10 ply, so i went with the Duratracs and do not regret it. I had them on another family style wheeler previously as well. I can't say on the long term wear of them, however I have heard that they last about the same as a BFG comparatively speaking.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Yea I've owned a set of Dura Tracs on a previous vehicle and loved them! only problem is their so damn expensive now! and as I'm looking around another issue I seem to be having is actually finding a 305/70/17 in ANY all terrain tire!! Its like they don't make that size! all I can find is mud tires.
And here's another issue, as I'm looking at a conversion chart I find that a 305/70/17 and a 285/75/17 are the same in what I think is standing height
=33.8 the only difference seems to be the width I guess 11.22 vs. 12.01
am I correct here or am I confusing something? Because if I'm right the 285 is about 65$ cheaper than the 305 and all I'd be losing is width?
I'm truly lost on this matter
Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You got it '06 They're about the same height, just losing that little bit of width. As far as the BFGs go, I've come to found that's a tire with a big "love 'em or hate 'em" following. I for one do not care for them, I couldn't get out of wet grass with them. Nitto terra grapplers/Toyo AT2 are pretty good all around. The Cooper AT3 is a great tire but I don't think it comes in that size.....
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
You got it '06 They're about the same height, just losing that little bit of width. As far as the BFGs go, I've come to found that's a tire with a big "love 'em or hate 'em" following. I for one do not care for them, I couldn't get out of wet grass with them. Nitto terra grapplers/Toyo AT2 are pretty good all around. The Cooper AT3 is a great tire but I don't think it comes in that size.....
thanks for the help. my only thing is I've heard that the nittos don't hold up well life wise. they wear easily it that true? and heres another question, since my stock size is 265/70/17 if I made the jump to the 285/75/17 I would increase in width right? so basically it boils down to this, if I go with the 285/75/17 I get almost to a 34" tall tire AND an increase in width from my stock 265 PLUS its about 50$ cheaper than the 305 which is about the same size tire as the 285 minus width? Hope you can follow that
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
Dont get BFG A/T!!!!!!!!!
Ive got the BFG at's on my 2005 f350, on my 2011 f250 work truck and on my wifes 1999 Suburban. I beat the snot out of tires in my work truck (40 miles of highway and then upwards of 200 miles of bad gravels roads). I have tried just about any tire I can getmy hands on and always seem to come back to the BFG's. They dont chunk like alot of the tires Ive tryed and I have had great luck with flats.
Heck I was wondering just the other day about putiing them on my camper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.