CB Antenna - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CB Antenna

I am running an '04 F350 Crew Cab, Long Box.
I have a 'Back-Rack' behind the cab.
I regularly pull a 38' 5th Wheel which is 12' 10" high.
I have a Midland 1001Z CB that I am going to use.
I am thinking of mounting a single CB antenna on the Back-Rack.

My questions are:-
1. Should I mount the antenna on the top-middle bar of the Back-Rack or on one of the side pieces (and if so, driver or passenger side?)
2. Should I go with a 3' or 4' antenna (or another length)?
3. Am I right in using an 18' length of Coax?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
You should mount the antenna center on the top rail of the rack. This will allow the antenna to provide you the best performance. As for coax, 18 ft is a rule of thumb. Usually with 18ft of coax your going to be able to match the antenna to the cb the easiest. Although if you mount the antenna and take it to a radio shop they can match the radio to the antenna. This will prevent you from damaging the radio. Antenna I would go with the 4ft one. Why it is ussually easier to match a radio to an even number antenna vs odd length antenna.

What ever you do make sure you have the antenna and radio matched. You want the lowest swr readings possible. Preferably 1to1. You would need a swr meter which you can get at radio shack to adjust the antenna to obtain a low swr reading. Although if you are not familiar with this I suggest you have someone that is familiar with it do the adjustment.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Coax length doesn't matter; it's a myth. I'd recomend a good type of Cox however. I personaly run Mini 8. believe it's RG8X. and I solder my own HIGH quality connectors on. As for antenna mounting... Higher the better, bigger the better. and always... CHECK YOUR SWR's!!!! I've had great luck with wilson antennas. I've run whips, wilsons, firestiks etc... Full size whip is a very good choice if you can pull it off, very durable also. But for most people it's odd looking and requires a HD mount that involves drilling. I'd recomend a Mag mount on the Roof. Say a wilson 1k, or 5k. But even a small K40 would work. I run a wilson 5k mag mount either on the Roof for maximum performance (watch low limbs!) or i have it on the inside of the bed, ontop of the passenger side wheel wheel hump. I wouldn't run a fiberglass antenna smaller than 4' myself. I've tried 3' fiberglasses and they stink. a small mag mount would blow the doors off it. But if you mount to your "rack" or whatever... have to make sure it's grounded VERY WELL. Have a CB shop check your SWR's with a Antenna analyzer. most shops do it for free if you buy the equipment from them, or just flick them $5-10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.