In bed Aux Fuel Tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question In bed Aux Fuel Tank

Want to see if anyone has any experience with using a gravity fed in bed fuel tank. I am using a 35 gal on my truck that gravity drains to the main 30 gal tank. My question is....do I have to worry about creating any issues (like fuel return) if I fill both tanks and open the valve from the Aux tank to the main to keep the main tank full. I have done his a few time with no issue, but a friend brought up that it may cause issue with fuel being returned to the tank. Anyone with experience or advice??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I haven't had any issues with fuel return.... Just with a CEL every once in a while on a long drive. I have a 51 gallon with an RDS gravity feed. If you are in and out of the truck constantly than you will never get one. On a long drive, if the truck sees a "full" tank for over 500 miles or so it will throw a code.... But it's gone as soon as the truck is shut off and restarted....ie: fillup at the fuel station.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the CEL come on over a long trip last month due to the fuel level sensor. I didn't wait for it to clear on its own I used my Edge insight. I am going to keep using it, I can live with the occasional CEL. Another question...have you noticed any issues with water in fuel problems while using the aux tank? I had a couple of issues with the water in fuel light coming on after using the tank. I have a new cap on the tank and I leak checked the tank with air to verify no leaks. I also installed a filtered vent line up thru and into the bottom of my tool box. Figured with the vent in the box it keeps it out of the weather. Anyway just wondered if you had any water problems. Maybe it was just bad fuel and a coincidence. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM

I have an edge insight too. But my CEL was gone on the next key turn.... Same code for fuel level sensor.
Sure is nice to go 12-1300 miles on one fillup!

I haven't had any WIF issues. I have a tank/toolbox combo where the filler and cap is enclosed in the toolbox cover. The fuel station I use is a truck stop...high volume gets you a cheap (er) price....and the place is busy... So always fresh fuel.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what kind of tanks are you guys using? ive been thinking about getting one but dont know where to start
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM

I bought the RDS Manufacturing 51 gallon tank/toolbox combo and I am extremely pleased. High quality, American made and decent price. Check out 3GToolboxes.com click products, then auxillary tanks. I bought model 72747 and the install kit. It was 804.00 shipped to my buisness. Fits perfectly with my Reese fifth wheel hitch and is close to level with the bed rails. There is an almost exact model that is 72746 and it also is 51 gal but is shorter....only 19" tall and will fit under a tonneau cover at the expense of a 3" shallower toolbox. You can try Northerntool.com but they are wayyy overpriced. I did a lot of research and the 3Gtoolboxes beat everyone hands down.

The install kit on northern tool is 89.99....on 3G, it's 59.99 for example.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I thought gravity fed tanks aren't legal anymore

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 AM

Thats what i heard too, but check your individual state laws. The engine can't be directly gravity fed from the bed tank.
Also, I am not commercial anything.... So nothing to worry about.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah I know in Texas and Georgia you can gravity feed your stock tank you have to have a pump in case of roll overs. They don't want the chance of a spill. And down south they don't do they stupid commercial vehicle crap like they do up north. No special rules and cheaper registration. It's a vehicle use it for what it ment for is their rule lol. I only know this bc I moved to New York a few month ago and have a 1 ton truck and they are trying to tell me I have to register commercially. But it's for family use bit business

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM

A good friend of mine and fellow avid 5th wheel camper, traded in his SRW f350 for a 2012 DRW F350. All he wanted was to be safer while pulling his trailer down the road. He gets screwed big time now. In mass, a DRW is considered commercial no matter what... 250$ registrations every year...130$ inspection stickers..
Mine is 90$ reg every two years and 29$ inspection sticker a yr and I do more "work" with my truck then he ever will with his
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.