Tire problems - kinda long - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tire problems - kinda long

Not sure how many know, but in April, I finally bought my rims and tires for my truck. Couple of months later, the rear tires started chunking and the lugs were breaking off - and no, it wasn't because of burnouts!

Front tires seemed to be fine. After many weeks working with Mickey Thompson, Desert Rat and Fletcher's, the rear tires were replaced under pro-rated warranty. Now, a month later, my passenger front tire is having problems and it appears that every other groove that the lugs don't even touch the ground! I'm finished with these Mickey Thompson's!

Fletcher's is willing to give me full credit ($600) for the rears and pro-rated credit ($368) for the fronts. Since I tow my 5er toy hauler (~12k), I was looking to keep the "E" range tires and the 33" size. Oh and I don't ever want Mud Terrain's again, so I was looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers (put them on the wife's 02 Ram 1500 and love 'em!), but they don't have an E tire in my size. The D's are rated at 3,000 lbs, while the E's are rated at 3,600 lbs.

Now for the question - Do I go with the Nitto's in the "D" range or keep looking? The ProComp Xtreme AT's are available in my size and are "E" but they are directional; should I look at those? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you looked into any others like BFG or Toyo. I have had really good luck with BFG A/T KO's. Good luck finding some treads. Are these tires chunking because of towing your trailer or just because they are POS tires?? Just wondering. Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think these tires were a bad batch that caused the chunking. The front tire appears to me to have a broken internal belt. I'll post up a pic here in a bit.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Shawn, I'd check out the ProComp Xtreme ATs if I were you. I got a set about 3 weeks ago and I've really enjoyed them.

Here's the thread:

Got my new tires!!! (Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts)

They ride good and perform good. Even with towing...they're E rated as you know.

My towing thread with the new tires:

First real tow for the PSD - got the job done!

Good luck with your decision!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 AM

i would definitley stick with an e range tire. especially seeing how much weight you tow. off road tires look cool but are they really practical? i know my truck will never see mud, plus i cant afford to buy new ones every 2 years because of wearing problems. i dont know how serious you are about off roading or mudding. i dont know much about the pro comps. i went with a slightly more aggresive tire than stock incase i run into any problems driving, snow, also they look alot better.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
i would definitley stick with an e range tire. especially seeing how much weight you tow. off road tires look cool but are they really practical? i know my truck will never see mud, plus i cant afford to buy new ones every 2 years because of wearing problems. i dont know how serious you are about off roading or mudding. i dont know much about the pro comps. i went with a slightly more aggresive tire than stock incase i run into any problems driving, snow, also they look alot better.

JW, that was my thoughts as well when purchasing new tires. I wanted something that retained full functionality of the truck, yet looked better and performed better both off road in an adverse conditions.

On my last truck (01 Ranger) I had a set of BFG MTs that were awesome tires. Looked great and performed great what little I had them off road. However, being that I drive ~110 miles a day just to work and back, they were highly impractical for everday driving. I will say though, judging by the wear when I sold them, I'd probably have gotten 40K out of those too. Sold them with 20K miles on them and I'd guarantee there was still 1/2 the tread still on them.

So...this time around I knew I wanted ATs for both their off road capability and mileage. I was lucky enough to jump on the ProComp "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal, but probably would have paid full price to get a set of them anyways.

So far, they've been excellent tires. Hope it stays that way!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM

Well I wouldn't be afraid to put the D's on, I'm actually putting some Firestone Destination AT's LT285/70/17 load range D's on my truck this afternoon, getting all 4 for $356, wife gets half off in the months of November and December, only one set though. The D's can handle 3000#'s each so thats 12000#'s total. If you truck weighs 7 to 8k and you have about 2k hitch weight then you still have plenty of tire. Most 285 D's still hold up just as much weight as a 265 E, just my two cents
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

CJ, I just noticed your from Tuscaloosa - figured I'd say "hi" to another 'Bama member.

Enjoying this football season down there?

You make a good point on the D rating tires and I considered that myself. I guess you'd just have to consider what you plan on doing with the truck...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 AM
The Fat Mod

I have run the Pro Comps before. I really liked the tire, but I though that they wore pretty fast. I only had 20-25k miles on mine before they needed replacing and that was with regular driving. Other than that, I was very happy with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.