Chips in paint, proper way to fix - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chips in paint, proper way to fix

Hey guys, I have an 06 f250 6.0 with 340,000km on it so understandably it needs some attention to the paint(country driving). I have various paint chips on the hood, fenders and around some of the window. The latest being the size of a 25cent quarter or so. Most of them are just showing the grey primer, some
Of the chips have a rusty color to them, but not rot.

My question is what is the best way to fix these by my self properly? I just don't want to have rust start bubbling through in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump
also interested
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The right way to fix it is to sand and feather edge every chip then prime paint and clear coat it. The cheap easy way to fix it is to go get an arosol can with color matched paint and paint over them.

Sent from my ADR6325 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 AM

what makes painting so expensive, like im sure i could sand and prep door no problem, how much should a shop be charging for a door that only needs spraying with all panels and glass removed?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Paint for you to buy isnt that expensive. When you go to a shop they are charging you 45 dollar a hour labor, plus materials. To paint just a door you also have to blend into the fender and rear door or bedside (whichever cab configuration you have) You dont have to remove the door glass just take the belt line molding and window rubber out. To make life easier you should take your handles out though

Just for a price idea I can paint my truck (CCSB) for between 700-1200$ a shop will charge 5000-7000$

Sent from my ADR6325 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 AM

from what i uderstand they spray just straight onto the existing clearcoat? how does that stick? sorry noob here, if there is a post on how to paint properelly or another site that you know of that would be awesome
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have to sand the clearcoat with a DA(dual action) sander with 400 grit sandpaper. Then clean with a degreaser then use a tack cloth(wear rubber gloves). As for chips you need to feather edge them. which is removing some paint from each layer so it looks like a small bullseye. Any bare metal showing you should use a self etching primer or a direct to metal primer. wet sand the primer so its smooth. 2-3 coats of base then a minimium of 3 coats of clear(southern states i advise 4 or 5).
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM

man it sounds pretty simple, just very timely.
so the more coats of clear coat the better? i live in northen alberta, lots of rocks fly all year round, now how does the quality of paint make a difference here?
and is spraying nice even paint all in the quality of the sprayer and equiptment?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

its extremely timely a complete paint job on a CCSB you can expect 30 to 40 hours to do a complete paint job. The more coats of clear is better to a point. After about 5 coats you should color sand to keep the clear from getting hazy. 5 coats of clear is alot though.
Quality of paint has more to do with the pigments in the base coat and UV protection in the clear then its durambility to rock chips.
The spraying of nice even paint has more to do with the person spraying then the equipment. A novice painter usually on gets a ok/good paint job with any spray gun. Great paint+cheap gun= good paint job. Great painter+best gun=perfect paint job.
If you plan on painting yourself make sure you have an aircompressor the can produce a minimum of 19 CFM
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 AM

yah im thinking of tearing the whole truck apart every nuts and bolt and spraying everything black and keeping KR interior, do the frame blue, and then put it back together and build it the way ford should have. what kind of paint is used to cover the frame (last 50 years never chip or anything) and what kind for the body for the best shine in gunmetal grey or black??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.