nc law - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nc law

i just straight piped my 05 f-350 and i wanted to know if it will still pass inspection
i've heard differently and need an answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm in Alberta, Canada. I know we have no testing here. I'm assuming you're in the US? Which state?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM

No it wont but sometimes you can find someone who will let it slide.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Depends on the state, in Illinois it is legal because all our law states is that we have a sound limiting device which is defined in the statute as a muffler AND/OR a turbo. I have no clue how a turbo compares to a muffler as a sound limiting device but according to illinois thats all you need to be legal :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 PM

After doing some searching for ya it looks like you will need a muffler in NC, i could not find any decibel limits though so you should be okay with a mbrp muffler something similar as long as there is some type of muffler on your truck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM

No muffler required in nc its a saftey inspection only

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM

NCDOT inspection requires "all factory cat and mufflers be in place and in good working order or equivalant." This is the requirement for all vehicles manufactured in the last 15 years, vehicles older than 15 years only require the safety inspection, older than 35 years require no inspection.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Don't you worry about it

Nc only does a safety Inspection. No muffler or cat or anything required. My truck is straight piped and I have never had a problem. All they check is headlights turnsignals and horn and all the other safety stuff
Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM

(a) Safety. A safety inspection of a motor vehicle consists of an inspection of the following equipment to determine if the vehicle has the equipment required by Part 9 of Article 3 of this Chapter and if the equipment is in a safe operating condition:
(1) Brakes, as required by G.S. 20‑124.
(2) Lights, as required by G.S. 20‑129 or G.S. 20‑129.1.
(3) Horn, as required by G.S. 20‑125(a).
(4) Steering mechanism, as required by G.S. 20‑123.1.
(5) Windows and windshield wipers, as required by G.S. 20‑127. To determine if a vehicle window meets the window tinting restrictions, a safety inspection mechanic must first determine, based on use of an automotive film check card or knowledge of window tinting techniques, if after‑factory tint has been applied to the window. If after‑factory tint has been applied, the mechanic must use a light meter approved by the Commissioner to determine if the window meets the window tinting restrictions.
(6) Directional signals, as required by G.S. 20‑125.1.
(7) Tires, as required by G.S. 20‑122.1.
(8) Mirrors, as required by G.S. 20‑126.
(9) Exhaust system and emissions control devices, as required by G.S. 20‑128. For a vehicle that is subject to an emissions inspection in addition to a safety inspection, a visual inspection of the vehicle's emissions control devices is included in the emissions inspection rather than the safety inspection.

20‑128. Exhaust system and emissions control devices.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler, or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, annoying smoke and smoke screens.
(b) It shall be unlawful to use a "muffler cut‑out" on any motor vehicle upon a highway.
(c) No motor vehicle registered in this State that was manufactured after model year 1967 shall be operated in this State unless it is equipped with emissions control devices that were installed on the vehicle at the time the vehicle was manufactured and these devices are properly connected.
(d) The requirements of subsection (c) of this section shall not apply if the emissions control devices have been removed for the purpose of converting the motor vehicle to operate on natural or liquefied petroleum gas or other modifications have been made in order to reduce air pollution and these modifications are approved by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. (1937, c. 407, s. 91; 1971, c. 455, s. 1; 1983, c. 132; 1989, c. 727, s. 9; 1997‑443, s. 11A.119(a); 2000‑134, s. 6.)
Number 9 of the safety inspection requirements states a muffler is required by GS 20-128. (a) under 20-128 you must have a muffler if the vehicle was manufactured with a muffler.

Im not trying to argue with anyone simple want to educate. I too have been running strait piped for many years. Inspection stations are supposed to check to make sure you have a muffler under "safety inspection requirements", some dont but some will fail you for having strait pipes. If you know someone who will inspect it strait piped do so, most of us do. However understand you can get a ticket for it and that ticket costs $237.

You can google search these laws by entering ncgs 20-183.3 and ncgs 20-128. NCGS stands for North Carolina General Statutes.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Don't you worry about it

I've had a diesel truck with no muffler or cat for 7 years and have never once had any trouble out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.