Homemade or homebrew bumpers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Homemade or homebrew bumpers?

I searched but didn't see a thread dedicated to homemade bumpers. I'm specifically looking for front bumper examples, but thought this thread could be a catch-all for all home brew bumpers.

I need a new front bumper, but the aftermarket ones can be soooooooo expensive. I have access to a CNC and all manner of metalworking machinery, so I thought it might be more cost effective to DIY. I'd love to see what other forum members have come up with.

Let's see some pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Its not on a powerstroke but it took alot of beer to make this happen. First pic is when it was finished that night next pic is next day painted.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Here in the next few months I will be doing my own "Road Armor Style" front and rear bumper and I would be more than happy to publish the schematics for any and all on this or any other corner of the internet to see. I want to retain the parking sensors and have a recessed 2" receiver in the rear. In the front, I want the ability to reposition my stock fog lights, or use some smaller, but brighter Rigid Duelley D2's, and mount a winch as large as the Smittybilt X20 15,000. Which brings me to another, completely unrelated question:

Rigid D2's on Stock Wiring and Switch

I don't mean to thread jack here, but I figure you're looking into a new bumper and I have ideas. Anyone else want to play "Good Idea Ferry"?

Last edited by SOBX; 08-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4SouthernMiss22 View Post
Its not on a powerstroke but it took alot of beer to make this happen. First pic is when it was finished that night next pic is next day painted.

Y'all did a great job on that, I wonder what your inspiration was? I never had good luck working with diamond plate, it never did what I wanted it to do lol.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not a 6.0 but built one for my truck

Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
This is a good thread to check out.... Custom Bumper Build (Pics)
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
not a 6.0 but built one for my truck

That OBS looks great! Very few trucks look good in white (they all end up looking like work trucks), but yours looks awesome! Is that aluminum that you were working with there, or just really clean steel? Titanium? Magnesium? Super-secret-squirrel alloy used on the secret Mars manned mission that happened in the 60's?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBX View Post
That OBS looks great! Very few trucks look good in white (they all end up looking like work trucks), but yours looks awesome! Is that aluminum that you were working with there, or just really clean steel? Titanium? Magnesium? Super-secret-squirrel alloy used on the secret Mars manned mission that happened in the 60's?
Thanks. it is aluminum channel bolted over a steel frame
Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Y'all did a great job on that, I wonder what your inspiration was? I never had good luck working with diamond plate, it never did what I wanted it to do lol.
To tell you the truth the inspiration was that we got a steal on a jeep without a bumper. A stock bumper with all the components was going to be around 500 bucks. so 450 in metal including the pipe a lot of welding and there it is.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Here in the next few months I will be doing my own "Road Armor Style" front and rear bumper and I would be more than happy to publish the schematics for any and all on this or any other corner of the internet to see. I want to retain the parking sensors and have a recessed 2" receiver in the rear. In the front, I want the ability to reposition my stock fog lights, or use some smaller, but brighter Rigid Duelley D2's, and mount a winch as large as the Smittybilt X20 15,000. Which brings me to another, completely unrelated question:

Rigid D2's on Stock Wiring and Switch

I don't mean to thread jack here, but I figure you're looking into a new bumper and I have ideas. Anyone else want to play "Good Idea Ferry"?
I'd love to see what you come up with. Even better if you have schematics in CAD, but if not I can get one of the detailers here to draw it up based on your measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
This is a good thread to check out.... Custom Bumper Build (Pics)
Pics have been removed from that thread for some reason. Hopefully they'll repost them soon as I'd love to see what he did.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I had no idea there was a fabrication sub-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bumper, homemade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.