Tires chunking off!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tires chunking off!!!

As many of you know, my Mickey Thompson tires mounted on the rear of my truck have been breaking apart. By the way, the front tires, where all the weight is, are wearing perfectly. The lugs have broken off pretty severe, such that I now don't trust towing my toy hauler out of town. This began a few weeks after I got the tires. See pic #1 below.

Pic #2 is just a couple of months ago... And they have gotten worse since!

Anyway, long story short, I have been going back and forth for a couple of months now with MT, Desert Rat and Fletcher's Tire and Auto to get these 2 tires warrantied. (I bought them from Fletcher's, who bought the tires/rims from Desert Rat, who bought them from MT.) Fletcher's looked at them and had me go see Desert Rat. Desert Rat made a half-hearted attempt, but couldn't get anywhere with MT, so I went back to Fletcher's and got no where. Anyway, a buddy of mine was finally able to get me in touch with a District Manager from Fletcher's who looked at them Monday and I was just notified that MT is going to warranty them!!! I'm pretty excited and they are jumping through a bunch of hoops to try to get them sourced and install before I leave on Friday to go to Vegas...

to Jay @ Fletcher's!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to dieselpowered
Well that is great to hear...wonder what caused them to do that? Bad compound maybe?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
im fat and ugly

man i hope its a bad batch and it doesnt happen again, when mine crapped out i didnt want to chance it and had to go another brand route
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to chopstx667
Good to hear about the warranty! Have they said anything about what has caused it to tear off like that? I got a couple of patches torn off my rear tires but that was from other...activities
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Wow - I was about to say that sounds like Stumps problem -- but his were bigger chunks!!!

Glad to hear they should be getting them taken care of for you! Have fun in Vegas Shawn!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Slacker

I've never smoked them or rock crawled or anything like that. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. Hell, I didn't even get my SCT until about three weeks ago... I'm not exactly sure why they did that, but Jay @ Fletcher's indicated that this is the second set of MTZ's that have done this to just the rear tires. Oh, and I should mention these are only 5 months old and have ~6,000 miles on them. Also, all 4 tires are from the same batch, so it's very odd. I'm concerned they might do it again, but next time I'll just buy Toyo's from Jay and be done with it...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Any MT tire i sell i tell them if its gunna be on the road and not mud, or dirt its gunna tear them up. and wear out verry fast. I have seen whats happened to yours before at my shop. thank the guy that got it done for you cuz he is lucky he got mt to do anything about it. Dont get me wrong if you had bought them from me i would try and help you. its just that most tire makers will tell ya hey they where on the road, thats not what they where made for. i had a set of bfg krawlers do the same as your's sent the tires to bfg and they sent them back saying that they wouldnt do anything about them that they are ment for rock cralling not city driving lol. kinda pissed me off.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedSI View Post
Any MT tire i sell i tell them if its gunna be on the road and not mud, or dirt its gunna tear them up. and wear out verry fast. I have seen whats happened to yours before at my shop. thank the guy that got it done for you cuz he is lucky he got mt to do anything about it. Dont get me wrong if you had bought them from me i would try and help you. its just that most tire makers will tell ya hey they where on the road, thats not what they where made for. i had a set of bfg krawlers do the same as your's sent the tires to bfg and they sent them back saying that they wouldnt do anything about them that they are ment for rock cralling not city driving lol. kinda pissed me off.
I can appreciate that reply. My question would then be, "Well, why are the front tires wearing perfectly?" Nobody seems to have this answer...

These are E rated tires, so should be both pliable (like any MT) and strong (for towing). I didn't mention anything about what MT said regarding air pressures... (Air them down to 45 PSI when not towing and air them back to 65 PSI when towing...) They were @ 65 PSI when I got them, which is where I left them.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I can appreciate that reply. My question would then be, "Well, why are the front tires wearing perfectly?" Nobody seems to have this answer...
You have a point. And like ever one else i to dont have an answer for that lol
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Shawn -- did you buy anything like roadhazard warranty when you purchased the tires??? If so, they should'nt question them...

and if they are giving towing instructions for the tires, then it sounds to me like they are designed for on road use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.