Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Power Steering Pump Install Help

14K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SCUFFY828 
#1 ·
:help: Ok, so adding fluid did not seem to help my issue. I was going to order a power steering pump since I am fully convinced that is what the problem is. My question to everyone is; is it a pain in the butt to do? I was planning on doing this myself, but I have not worked on trucks much just my mustang. I hate to take things to the garage if I am perfectly capable of doing this myself. Please give me any info that may be of help before I decide to tear things apart myself. Thanks :confused:

#2 ·
It is not hard to do at all. You will need a powersteering pump pulley puller. As the new pump does not come with one. You will need to remove the two lines on the back of the pump. One is a feed line the other is a return line. I drained my cooling system and replaced my belt when I did my pump. It took me about 4-6 hours. The hardest part was removing the pulley. The best advice I can give you is remove the mounting bracket and pump together. Then pull the pulley off. Then remove old pump. Install new pump, install the pulley on the new pump then put before you put the mounting bracket back in the truck. Hook the two lines back up. Then bolt the mounting bracket back inplace. Then install the new belt, and radiator hose, then refill the radiator with coolant. Then fill the pump up. You have to bleed it. The way you do this is jack up the front end so both front tires are off the ground. Then turn the steering wheel as well as checking the fluid resevior constantly to keep it full of fluid. This takes a while but you need to get the air out. If you do it with the truck running the powersteering fluid will get air in it and foam up. After you have the system bled, start up the truck and let it run. While the truck is running turn the tires a few times. Then shut the truck down and recheck the fluid.

I also suggest you get a repair manual for your truck. Makes it easier. The job sounds hard but it really is not.

#3 ·
Michelle I remember your other post also. Someone correct me if Im wrong but does the 6.0 have hydroboost? If your pump isnt working your brakes probobly wouldnt be working well either. I would hate for you to spend the money for a power steering pump you might not need. Hopefully the techs will see this thread.

#4 ·
x2 on what Scott said. I would also check into the cost of a replacement power steering pulley. It might be cheaper than renting a pulley puller and I've had one that was warped from when it was pulled off the old pump... It might save you a few pennies and a whole lot of potential headaches. :twocents:

#6 ·
#7 ·
if i had to guess , need to look at the gear box , see if the seal at the bottom where the sector shaft comes out and the pitman arm bolts on , if its leaking there , if it is , i would say your problem lies in the gear box , the shaft is getting worn and starting to bind , on that year model truck the pump generaly dont give any problems , the high pressure line is fairly common to leak, no matter what , still need to inspect ball joints

#8 ·
Thanks

Wow! Thanks for all the detailed info on changing it. Way more than I anticipated, thank you. I will definitely check about the truck having hydroboost. I understand what you are saying about it because GMCs are common for having this issue, but I don't think my truck is set up this way. I will definitely find out. I have not noticed any issues with the brakes. This is the only logical thing that it could be since I have checked everything else and there is no play in my wheel or anything which would lead me to think that it would be my steering box.

#10 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the detailed info on changing it. Way more than I anticipated, thank you. I will definitely check about the truck having hydroboost. I understand what you are saying about it because GMCs are common for having this issue, but I don't think my truck is set up this way. I will definitely find out. I have not noticed any issues with the brakes. This is the only logical thing that it could be since I have checked everything else and there is no play in my wheel or anything which would lead me to think that it would be my steering box.
the info you have read there is for a 7.3 you have a 6.0 correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.