Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

keeping the windows from getting scratched..?

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  banshee-rider 
#1 ·
I live in a dry dusty area where the wind blows a lot. I have found that my side windows that roll up and down have slight scratches in them. There is dirt getting in the rubber/felt seal along the bottom outside of the window. I hose it out occasionally and run my finger through it every once in awhile to get the dirt out. What are you guys doing to keep the scratches from showing up and keeping the felt clear of dirt? Any tricks or suggestions. Thanks.

Will

#2 ·
Is the felt worn off down to the rubber? That rubber will hold the dirt even worse.

If they're worn, replace them.:thumb:

#3 ·
Just clean them often! That is about all you can do.

I had my windows and felts replaced while under warranty, so I am extra careful now to constantly clean off the felts so I don't end up having to buy new windows.

:thumb:

#4 ·
My seals were also replaced with new glass as well....all scratched up again! only thing you can do is try to keep them clean + never roll down your windows. Scratches really stand out if your windows are tinted :(

#6 ·
I had the same problem with my 06. Like mentioned already, I took and rubbed my finger on the felt and also stuck a rag in between there when I was done washing mine all the time. I thought someone did a mod on this? Just cant remember what site I seen it on

#9 ·
If you (very carefully) pull off the outer window felt, you'll find there is an upward facing J shaped channel at the bottom of the felt against the window. This channel is PERFECT for catching mud and grit that gets by the uppper felt strip. Once it gets by the uppper strip, the crud just packs into that J shaped channel and grinds on your window like sandpaper.

It's damn tough to clean out this channel with the felt strip still on the door....

#10 ·
Does anyone know the part number for the new felt strip?

#12 · (Edited)
i had the same problem until i get new outside felt strips/ weather strips about 4 months ago they seem to be alot softer and fold down when you roll the window all the way down so far no more scratches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.