So there are a few write-ups on this but I figured I'd add to the mix.
you find that you reeeeally
want yours black like this or color matched, and don't feel like spending the time
on it. I can do it pretty cheap compared to most of the shops that do it. Just PM me if you're interested. I can do 6.0l and 6.4l lights.
This is what it looked like before:
The steps are:
1) Take headlights out and then take out the 2 screws in the back. And the rubber grommet.
2) Heat headlight in the oven somewhere between 215*F-225*F (I opted for 225*F because it makes it easier). Place the headlight on water soaked
cardboard so there's no direct metal contact.
3) Get a flat head and start to pry it apart. You gotta man-up and get to cranking. Put back in the oven for 10-15min if they get too cool and you can't pry anymore.
You might break some tabs and bend the black backing. But you don't need them as long as you get the seal right.
4) Take the chrome bezels out and the amber pieces.
5) Then put a few coats of paint on the chrome and ONE, I repeat ONE coat of Nightshade on the amber pieces.
6) After waiting long enough for the paint and nightshade to release, put a pretty thick bead of silicon in the groove (make sure the groove is clean with
no old silicon in there) The silicon I used is white and dries clear so you know when they're done.
7) Tape them together and play the waiting game.