Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

It's amazing what 2 cans of spray paint will do!

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  tcgordy 
#1 ·
Nothing better than spending $10 dollars on two cans of gloss black and taking a little time on a Saturday afternoon doing a nice do it yourself project to get the truck looking nice and glossy underneath!

See less See more
#8 ·
I've always wondered what doing what you did and inside the wheel wells with a matte or semigloss finish would do. Mines only leveled, not lifted like yours so you dont see as much up front, but you can see the rear axle in a car behind it.

It always sucks to have the truck all cleaned and waxed up looking good, but you see inside the wheel wells to the frame, axles, and suspension components with surface rust on them and the plastic inner fenders all splotchy with different colors. My truck is black so the underside really sticks out against the black glossy paint. It'd be nice to use a real rust stopper and preventer on it too.

#10 ·
Yup. And I'd clean off the grease dirt and oil if I were you...no way that paints gonna stick to that for long. Part of the reason I haven't gotten around to mine, spend to much time off road and not enough time cleaning the underside of my truck.

#12 ·
Let me add that I hate Ford's driveshafts!!!! Those things rust so bad it is rediculous. My truck has only been driven in the rain say 7-10 times since I bought it new in 06 and the driveshaft was just horrible. I hate chevy trucks but at least they have nice aluminum look to theres.

#13 ·
Looks good! about every 2-2.5 years, I spray the underneath of mine with a degreaser, and go over the dirty spots with a stiff brissel brush. The the rattle canning starts. I just use the flat black to keep it dark. Deffinatly Krylon Rust paint.

#25 ·
Thanks man!
what color was the frame and axles when they were new? and would glossy black look good on a white truck?
It was a dull black from the factory, and of course it does not lastlong enough. Bad ford, baaaad.
Yea that definitely looks good. How long did it take. I plan on doing that to my truck in the Spring. No sense to do it now since Maryland trows down way to much salt in the winter.
Thanks, I spent umm 4 hrs, with a few little breaks in there. Just real ccareful not to get on exhaust or on back side of wheels. Taping out and lining inside of wheels with towls took the longest. Underneath I used a big piece of cardboard so that spray would not go everywhere when I was spraying up for the driveshafts.
Truck came out great man! Nice thing about using spray paint, its easy to touch up and make look good again!
Thanks man.
If they were anything like todays frames, they are flat/matte finish.

I don't think I'm gonna go with glossy. I want it too look good, but not be an attention grabber. Flat black may be an attention getter too, so I think a good matte or semigloss paint would look good. I actually want to spend the time cleaning and painting it so absolutely nobody notices it and they spend the time looking at the rest of the truck instead of the underside because its glossy or rusty.:hehe:

Don't get me wrong. Yours looks great tcgordy, just more of a garage queen look.

A paint you can spray on rust that stops rust and prevents it is a must too. I guess Krylon fits that bill.
Thanks, and yes she is a garage queen, no doubt about that:wink[3]:
what about rustolem?
I dont know, just always been a Krylon guy, there stuff holds up to a lot of beating and banging. Closest spray paint ive found to powdercoat as far as on ATV's and such.

#18 · (Edited)
If they were anything like todays frames, they are flat/matte finish.

I don't think I'm gonna go with glossy. I want it too look good, but not be an attention grabber. Flat black may be an attention getter too, so I think a good matte or semigloss paint would look good. I actually want to spend the time cleaning and painting it so absolutely nobody notices it and they spend the time looking at the rest of the truck instead of the underside because its glossy or rusty.:hehe:

Don't get me wrong. Yours looks great tcgordy, just more of a garage queen look.

A paint you can spray on rust that stops rust and prevents it is a must too. I guess Krylon fits that bill.

#16 ·
Yea that definitely looks good. How long did it take. I plan on doing that to my truck in the Spring. No sense to do it now since Maryland trows down way to much salt in the winter.

#20 ·
You're on here 24 hours a day Jarrod. I guess if I know this, I must be too:hehe:

Yeah I'd use rustolem too, just looks like a few guys on here have mentioned Krylon. Any name brand rust inhibitor is probably a good choice.

#22 ·
Work, Study, and Sleep huh?

Wow, you took this whole idea to heart man. haha.

Thats what mine looks like for the most part. Guess I need to get busy and get it cleaned up and painted before winter...

#24 ·
Yeah I want to pull the bed and do the bottom of the bed also.

As far as under the cab, its gonna be a pain, but worth it in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.