Heater Block Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heater Block Advice

I have never owned a diesel until now. I bought a used 2006 F350. It does have the heater block already and I found the adaptor to plug it in by the front grill.

How am I supposed to use it? At what temperature should I plug it in? How cold does it need to get to become necessary? Also, do I leave it plugged in while starting, or unplug it first before I let the glow plugs heat up and crank it?

Any advice and explanation will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I usually plug it in when it's cold Somewhere down below 38 or so. My truck is weak at cold. Anyway, about 3 hours is all you need before you plan to start it. Just find a timer at Lowe's or somewhere and use it that way. Just start it up, then unplug it. It's a completely different system than the truck. Just don't leave it in forever after you start it up.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Firefighter Member

jesilvas i would say is dead on....and if you want to know when...well the first morning you go to start your truck up and it seems like a really rough start.....next day plug it in.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

^^^ What he said. also, turn your defroster to on when you park for the night. Helps keep windshield warm. I plug mine in all night, very little to no ice in the morning.

Might want to think about using an anti gelling fluid for extreme cold. I use Diesel Kleen in the white bottle in the winter. I start using it in November until early spring. Every tank. Then the gray bottle during the rest of the time. Walmart has a pretty good price on it.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM

I didn't think about turning on the defroster. As long as the coolant gets warm enough that heat would transfer all the way to the heater core.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM

I dont plug mine in till 25 degrees. I would just test it a little and make sure to use a heavy enough cord and a GFI outlet with out these u can wake up to your truck in a big ball of fire.... Also when u plug it in make sure to lightly sand the contacts on the plug end as the conacts get tons of road junk built up. The cord will get a little warm as well...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

This will be an interesting winter. Since I have the Scangauge now, I will beable to see just how warm the coolant gets over night.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will be more prepared now when it does get cold.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Iceman View Post
Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will be more prepared now when it does get cold.
Also, buy your fuel at the highest volume stations in your area. Especially as winter approaches. The fuel will made to, and treated, for the colder temps. I travel to Central Oregon in the winter, and I make sure my fuel has diesel kleen white bottle added for the trip. It can get down to negative numbers.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Diesel kleen must be an addative you put in with each tank of gas? Is it kind of like octane boost or fuel injection cleaner addative I used to put into my gasoline engine in my old truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.