To Drill or Not to Drill? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Powermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Prosser WA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To Drill or Not to Drill?

I just recently picked up a (over the rail) tool box from my father-in-law for free until he needs it back (which won't be anytime soon). I'm contemplating whether or not to use it because I'll have to drill four holes into the railing of my pickup which has the black platic railing cap. My delema is that, if and when he does want it back how I will fill the 3/8 drilled holes back up? Also, it is a Delta gull-wing styled box (probably around 10-12 years old) and it doesn't sit flush with the outside of the bed railing. Do most truck boxes sit like this or are they usually flush? And last, there is a quater inch padding that you put over the railing, and if I decide to use the box should I use this even though the railing is capped? I guess these question are more of "what would you do" and any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Moon
Powermoon is offline  
post #2 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermoon View Post
I just recently picked up a (over the rail) tool box from my father-in-law for free until he needs it back (which won't be anytime soon). I'm contemplating whether or not to use it because I'll have to drill four holes into the railing of my pickup which has the black platic railing cap. My delema is that, if and when he does want it back how I will fill the 3/8 drilled holes back up? Also, it is a Delta gull-wing styled box (probably around 10-12 years old) and it doesn't sit flush with the outside of the bed railing. Do most truck boxes sit like this or are they usually flush? And last, there is a quater inch padding that you put over the railing, and if I decide to use the box should I use this even though the railing is capped? I guess these question are more of "what would you do" and any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Moon

Ok our beds are wider then normal truck beds. You can actaully buy a tool box that fits flush like normal for your truck but your going to fork out money for it. As for to drill or not to. I prefer drilling the holes. If your worried about the holes when you remove the box. You can always replace those bed rail caps with diamond plate ones or new plastic ones from the dealer. That will cover the holes up. Only you will know they are there. If you want to do it that way.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Conservative and Proud


 
Banshee34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I didn't hesitate drilling through my diamond plate! Honestly can't live without the tool box in the back!!!

2001 F350, Lariat SC LB 4X4 PSD
Quadzilla Commander
Zoodad with Stealth Screen


National Hot Rod Diesel Association

The Org. Staff reserves the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.



Banshee34 is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jarrettsville, MD
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can always drill new holes that fall just inside of the bedrail. Then you use a piece of flat steel and fab up a bracket that slips up under the bedrail. Most truck equipment dealers mount this way anymore.

Also, I would recommend the sealing tape between the box and rail. It will keep them both from rubbing and scarring each other up.
720Deere is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Powermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Prosser WA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks and One more Question

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response. I do have the box sitting in my bed right now and even though it's not flush it still looks pretty good. Also, I like the idea of re-capping it with diamond plate if he does want it back. I'm pretty sure I'll install it sometime this week when I get a hold of a more powerful drill then my little craftsmen. Here is my last question, what would you use to clean it up with so it has that new shiney look again? The sun has taken its toll on it so it looks a little dingy, do you think regular soap do the job?

Thanks,
Moon
Powermoon is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Conservative and Proud


 
Banshee34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mothers and a powerball!!!

2001 F350, Lariat SC LB 4X4 PSD
Quadzilla Commander
Zoodad with Stealth Screen


National Hot Rod Diesel Association

The Org. Staff reserves the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.



Banshee34 is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermoon View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the quick response. I do have the box sitting in my bed right now and even though it's not flush it still looks pretty good. Also, I like the idea of re-capping it with diamond plate if he does want it back. I'm pretty sure I'll install it sometime this week when I get a hold of a more powerful drill then my little craftsmen. Here is my last question, what would you use to clean it up with so it has that new shiney look again? The sun has taken its toll on it so it looks a little dingy, do you think regular soap do the job?

Thanks,
Moon

Mothers metal polish and mothers polishing power ball that goes into the drill. That is the best thing to use I have not found anything else that works as good as that combo. It works great on rims and chrome bumpers too.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Conservative and Proud


 
Banshee34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
Mothers and a powerball!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Mothers metal polish and mothers polishing power ball that goes into the drill. That is the best thing to use I have not found anything else that works as good as that combo. It works great on rims and chrome bumpers too.
I beat ya to it Big!

2001 F350, Lariat SC LB 4X4 PSD
Quadzilla Commander
Zoodad with Stealth Screen


National Hot Rod Diesel Association

The Org. Staff reserves the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.



Banshee34 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
I beat ya to it Big!

Yeah oh well only because your computer is faster.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
 
pipelayerjdh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iva, SC
Posts: 5,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like Matt said, drill the holes in the box to line up with the inside edge of the bed rails. I used some all-thread to make "j" hooks to hook under the side of the rail. Just another option.

Derrick

My photobucket




'97 F-350 "FORDOR" 4X4 (Dually Conversion, Shackle Reversal, Technicooler , Auto Meter Gauges, 4" DIY Dual Exhaust w/ '08 tips, 4" DIY intake w/ AEM filter, Wicked Wheel 2, 360 thrust bearing, Homemade E-fuel conversion, Wildman Chip, 160cc DIY injectors , DIY IDM mod) 230K and counting...
pipelayerjdh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome