Need some info on Levelling vs. Lift Kits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some info on Levelling vs. Lift Kits

Ok so I've got a stock 2006 F350 4WD. I want to put on new tires... so I am thinking 20x10 rims (or should I go wider?) and 35" tires but I need to figure out the best way for them to fit on my truck... don't really have anyone up here to help me figure this out.

I have heard that 35s will fit if it's stock, but might rub or require a bit of cutting. With me going a couple inches wider, I'm guessing I'll need to raise it up a bit somehow to make it fit? So I was wondering if you guys suggest I get a 2.5" levelling kit or do a 3-4" lift kit instead? I'm not going to be offroading or anything really (well maybe once in a while ) but should I also be thinking about shocks or suspension with this as well? I don't want to lift it too much because of fuel economy, but I want it to ride well and look good, and not have my tires all scrunched up under the truck.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

a 2.5" leveling kit would clear, maybe scrub a little turning. a 4" lift would probably be better all around. it wont hurt your mpg, the tires/wheels you decide on will determine that. i've got 35's and leveled, i dont rub but sometimes i want to just go ahead and put a 4" lift on when i sit and look at it. but, i think you'll be fine either way you go.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have any pics of 2.5 inch leveling kits w/ 35's. I was interested in going this route too... I heard you have to get the offset just right or they will rub with 35's
Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have 2.5 level springs kit on 35's. No rub, will post a picture later if I can find it.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM

best stance pic i've got...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@ Mudvain

What's the lift in the front? 2.5"? What are the rim and tire specs? I wanted mine to hang out a little more than what you've got, that's where I think it might start the rubbing issue.

Look's good!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM

thanks man. it's a 2.5", 315/75-16 bfg a/t's, wheels are 16x8 with 3.75" backspacing. i do like the look of a 10" or 12" wide rim with a little tire sticking out though
Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks guys. With my tires, I have decided to go with the 35s on 18" rims (not sure of width yet, but I'll figure it out later today). But I've decided to go with the 2.5" levelling kit for now... If I don't like it I'll switch it up to a lift later on. And I'll be getting my tires in the next couple weeks.

Now what levelling kit is a good one to get??? Someone suggested I go with the Icon 2.5" but I know there's lot of other brands out there. Will be installing it with my dad or getting one of my guy friends to help me with it. If I get this Icon one (ICON Vehicle Dynamics) do I need any of these extra things???

Thanks guys, I appreciate it a ton
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessibobessy View Post
Thanks guys. With my tires, I have decided to go with the 35s on 18" rims (not sure of width yet, but I'll figure it out later today). But I've decided to go with the 2.5" levelling kit for now... If I don't like it I'll switch it up to a lift later on. And I'll be getting my tires in the next couple weeks.

Now what levelling kit is a good one to get??? Someone suggested I go with the Icon 2.5" but I know there's lot of other brands out there. Will be installing it with my dad or getting one of my guy friends to help me with it. If I get this Icon one (ICON Vehicle Dynamics) do I need any of these extra things???

Thanks guys, I appreciate it a ton
Hey Jessi,

I just had the ICON leveling kit installed on my '05 super duty..... Its pretty strait forward, just replace the coil springs and shocks up front and replace the shocks in the rear and install the alignment cam plates. should be more than a few hours worth of labor, max.

see the picture of my truck below:

Old 08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

i have an 08 with the icon 2.5 kit and it rides great. i kept the factory 20's and put a set of toyo open country MTs on 35x12.50 and i have no rub issues even at full lock. the rubbin comes into play when the rim offset is far from stock. hope this helps, also if ya want pics i can email them cause they aren't hosted any where online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.