2005 XL Black Grille??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 XL Black Grille???

Anybody know of a good online place to get just a plain black XL grille for my 05?? I ordered my RBP grille today but I want to get the black XL grille to replace my chrome grille before I put it on. The RBP guy told me they buy them from a Ford dealer for $133, so I stop by my local ford dealer today and OF COURSE they want like $250. I THINK I found some on ebay from an ebay store (forgot the name) but I am still a little leary that I am buying the right part. Also the RBP rep told me they have done some where they just leave the grille the black that it comes from the factory with the RBP grille install, he said that looks pretty sick... Anybody know, is the XL grille shell a smooth plastic or is it more like door handles plastic??? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM

here's the best price i can find....it's about half way down the page.

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Grille For 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Duper Duty

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
there was one brand new on craigslist near me for 20 bucks i can see if he still has it if you would like...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM

00Turbo444 if he dosent want it let me know i got a buddy looking for one.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:39 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I run the XL grill and it's a textured plastic. If you choose to paint it smooth you could do it but expect alot of sanding to prep and plenty of wetsanding to get it right.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM

Could you paint it as is?? Would the paint look the same as the rest of my truck without sanding it smooth do ya think??
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Painting as is would give you a bit of the textured OEM look. If you are a bit anal about paint prep you could do it it just takes time to sand everything. If you just like grabbing rattle cans and ripping it up then it's easy. Paint shade is a different story versus making it smooth and silky.

I considered trying to get mine prepped so it would not peel in the end. There's alot of little areas that would need some detail work to prep correctly. I have used some Krylon Fusion paint recently with an adhesion promoter on some interior panels. So far it's held up great to scuffs and such so I would use the same stuff if/when I do paint my grill. I just need the time to get some more supplies and hit it. If you are trying to match the paint you can get close but I'd say you need the pro stuff to get the right shade, but you may find the cans work well. Paint brand will play into paint color/shade just a bit. You may find that one paint is dead one, but sucks for durability and vice versa.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks man...Otherwise I would need the FX4 grille if I wanted a smooth painted grille correct??
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Replacement Grille

Can anybody tell if this is a smooth or textured grille?? Almost look smooth
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrichie View Post
Anybody know of a good online place to get just a plain black XL grille for my 05?? I ordered my RBP grille today but I want to get the black XL grille to replace my chrome grille before I put it on. The RBP guy told me they buy them from a Ford dealer for $133, so I stop by my local ford dealer today and OF COURSE they want like $250. I THINK I found some on ebay from an ebay store (forgot the name) but I am still a little leary that I am buying the right part. Also the RBP rep told me they have done some where they just leave the grille the black that it comes from the factory with the RBP grille install, he said that looks pretty sick... Anybody know, is the XL grille shell a smooth plastic or is it more like door handles plastic??? Thanks guys
Check your in box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.