Whats the doo-hickie between the rear view mirror and windshield? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats the doo-hickie between the rear view mirror and windshield?

Just noticed it the other day. It's kind of a 2" by 2" by 1" high box that mounts to the bottom of the bracket that mount the rear view mirror to the windshield. It has a button on the top drivers side. The owners manual talks about a button on the bottom of the mirror to disable the electrochromatic dimming of the mirror. I have the electrochromatic mirror, but no button on it, so I had assumed that the one on the box replaced the one on the mirror, but pressing the button has no effect on whether or not the mirror dims. Someone on another forum thought it may have something to do with the compass, but .... I reset the compass via the in-dash message center. I've came to the conclusion that it has to be the "lets add a non-functional button and drive them bonkers" modification.

Any ideas folks (other than by pressing it, it give you 200+ HP, or increases your towing capacity)?

Thanx is advance for helping relieve this old-timers confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

That box is for your on board compass....its the actual "sensor" that figures out which direction to display
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanx, that makes sense .... any idea as to what the button is for, besides doing a fantastic job of confusing me? To reset the computer, I go thru the in-dash message center and press the reset button on the dash ... which is also the trip reset and average lies (oops, I mean miles) per gallon readout.

Last edited by 2006KR; 01-08-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KR View Post
Thanx, that makes sense .... any idea as to what the button is for, besides doing a fantastic job of confusing me? To reset the computer, I go thru the in-dash message center and press the reset button on the dash.
the button is to calibrate the compass for different magnetic zones.....there should be instructions in your owners manual.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Thanx, that makes sense .... any idea as to what the button is for, besides doing a fantastic job of confusing me? To reset the computer, I go thru the in-dash message center and press the reset button on the dash ... which is also the trip reset and average lies (oops, I mean miles) per gallon readout.
Whatever you do, DON'T push that button 3 times in a row while turning on the left turn signal on and whistling the Barney theme song!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Too late, I already tried that - someone told me I would get an added 200HP and 500FtLb's torque .... boy, were they wrong .... only got hand cramps from trying to reach up over the mirror to push the button.

Mark, according to my manual, I use the function/reset buttons on the dash and the in-dash message center prompts you thru the process. I diidn't notice any prompting when I pushed the button on the 'black box', but then I wasn't paying particular attention either. I'll give it a look-see tonight when I get off work.

Thanx,

Last edited by 2006KR; 01-08-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Too late, I already tried that - someone told me I would get an added 200HP and 500FtLb's torque .... boy, were they wrong .... only got hand cramps from trying to reach up over the mirror to push the button.

Mark, according to my manual, I use the function/reset buttons on the dash and the in-dash message center prompts you thru the process. I diidn't notice any prompting when I pushed the button on the 'black box', but then I wasn't paying particular attention either. I'll give it a look-see tonight when I get off work.

Thanx,
that button was used on some of the older rigs to set the zones...most of the newer ones its just a useless button.....
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanx Marc, just as I thought, it's a confusion factor button, the more you press it, the more confused you get as to why nothing happens.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
The Fat Mod

Haha, kinda reminds me of that commercial where the guy is fliping the switch, and he is not sure what it does, but next door, the garage door is going up and down on the old ladies car. You are prolly killing some other guys truck everytime you hit it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Whatever you do, DON'T push that button 3 times in a row while turning on the left turn signal on and whistling the Barney theme song!

Clay, I thought you had to whistle Sanford and Sons?

Or was that the old Pinto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.