Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Adding automatic dome lights to a shell

743 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Heavy_GD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I picked up a truck cap/shell off the local classifieds for a steal of a deal and would like to add some automatic dome lights. The shell has the glass windows on the sides that lift open and the rear glass. I would like to add three dome light circuits to the shell, trick is that I want different lights on at different times.

Here is the scenario that I am thinking of. If the cargo lamps, or the rear glass is open, I want all three circuits on, if either of the side doors are open, I only want that sides lights on.

Without using a bunch of relays, I am having just a little difficulty working out the wiring for this.

I plan on using a sensor on the gas strut on the rear windows as the switch to turn the lights on. Right now with a stressed and foggy mind I am thinking a five pin relay for the four circuits (Driver Side, Pass Side, rear, and cargo on) using 87a for all on and 87 for individual lights

#2 ·
not sure if relay's are the answer or if rectifier diodes would be better or a combo

but i think two rectifiers could do this job and keep the side doors from back feeding and illuminating the other two light
but letting the rear hatch light up all 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.