Parasitic Drain NEED HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Parasitic Drain NEED HELP!!!

Gents,

First post so I am going to make it worth everyone time. Bought my 03/250 a couple years ago. Left the counrty for this past year (Korea) and came home to the truck which the wife occationally drove (really just sat). I bought new batteries because the truck kept dying on me a couple weeks ago. After the new batteries maybe a week went by and the truck was dead again. I didn't feel like spending big bucks paying a shop to located a parasitic drain so I bought the kill switch and put in the cab. I charged the batteries and used the switch everytime I shut the truck off. Still, the truck will die on me after a couple days. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? Alternator I already had tested, might just go ahead and buy a new one though. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 PM

I'd check all of the cables, and especially the grounds. From my understanding of these trucks, a corroded ground can cause a bunch of weird issues. My truck was having a similar issue, so I replaced both batteries and the alternator. Ran the truck for about 45 minutes with the new alternator, and then I turned it off. The next morning it died while attempting to start. The only thing I did before my next jump-start was disconnect and then reconnect the ground going from the passenger side battery negative terminal to the engine block, and I haven't had an issue since. I don't know if my issue was related to that, but it hasn't been dead on me since.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 AM

I also am having some similar issues............Where are the grounds, that commonly go bad??

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhines81 View Post
I also am having some similar issues............Where are the grounds, that commonly go bad??

Thanks!
I know there's one going from the passenger side battery negative terminal to the block (pretty easy to find). Follow the driver's side negative terminal as well, I think that one goes to the frame. There's one on the passenger side cylinder head (near the back) that goes to the firewall, and I think there's one going from the body to the frame underneath where the passenger side front door is. Make sure there's no breaks in those wires and that they have good connections and no corrosion. If you haven't already, make sure you get your batteries load tested separately and get your alternator tested too.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Make sure you don't have a bad battery. Can drain down voltage real fast.
Have them both checked first. Was my problem a while back
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the same problem Remy. Pulling my hair out trying to find the cause! Did a voltage check on both fuse blocks with nothing unusual going on. Had both batteries & alternator checked numerous times. Very irritating. Let me know what you find out.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you guys can get a hld of a multimeter, pop off the battery post positive side, negative works too. Zip tie one lead to the battery and one lead to the loose battery post terminal. Set the multimeter to DC voltage. Turn everything off and close all doors. Let sit about 5 to 10 minutes so everything settles. Pop the fuse cover under the hood if you have one and start pulling fuses one by one, until you see a spike in voltage. Tangobango the one that spikes is your draw. Hope this helps
Old 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM

i had a similar issue, truck would run fine, then it wouldnt start, would turn over fine..but no start...charge up the batteries would start right up and run fine...thought it was the batteries and replaced them, checked the charging and it was fine....truck would run for a week or 2 and the same problem...no start.....for me it turned out to be the main wiring harness...replaced it....no problems since...

please post up what you find

hope you figure it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.