What all conditions will trigger the battery light? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What all conditions will trigger the battery light?

I had a bad alternator and the light never came on (would be in the 11.8-12.1v even on freeway, sometimes getting to 12.8-13.1 randomly). I just put a new one on, and the light is now coming on randomly, even though my CTS shows great stable voltage 13.8-14.1v at the time. Sometimes it comes on and stays solid for several seconds, other times it's quick random flashes, sometimes kind of flickers randomly. I see no other issues of ill effects. Everything electric seems great, no light pulsing/dimming with rpm, batteries maintain better charge and engine cranks quicker when starting, etc.

So I'm wondering, what all conditions can cause the battery light to come on?

I had both batteries tested separately at the time of getting new alternator, and they were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

No one?

Under warranty, I swapped out the new alternator for another one and been a couple days and so far battery light hasn't come on even once. So guessing first one was bad, even though it tested fine both in the truck and on the bench tester.

But still wondering what all can cause the battery light to trigger. I take it that its more than just low voltage. I'm wondering if other alternator would sometimes not charge enough, so voltage stayed good, but technically there was a drain rather than a charge. Like if I had one of those old school ammeter that showed positive and negative flow, it would be on slight negative.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think it's triggered by ignition position and low voltage. What pid are you monitoring voltage with?

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world
Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachagmech View Post
I think it's triggered by ignition position and low voltage. What pid are you monitoring voltage with?
I'm not sure of pid number, but the insight calls it battery voltage.

Ignition position is in the run position. It did it while the engine is running and driving around.

I plan to install a dedicated in dash LCD volt meter soon that will be directly connected to the battery clamps. This will allow me to monitor battery voltage at anytime (off, cranking, running, etc), and free up a pid gauge on the insight.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my torque has ficm logic power and battery voltage. I wasn't sure which you were using.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

A bad alternator can put out 13+ volts but the amperage is very/too low, this is usually a sign of a bad regulator and will intermittently flash the battery light.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qholic For This Useful Post:
hossrod (05-14-2014), Teachagmech (05-13-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having the same issue with my 06.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

I ended up taking my "new" alternator back. I had them bench test it again, and still passed. I asked to swap it out for another one anyways and they didn't have issue with that and gave me another one off the shelf (note, same brand/model/etc).

Been a week and haven't had a single issue. Battery light hasn't come on even once (while running, it comes on with ignition so I know bulb is good).

So I think the issue is that it's voltage was fine, but wasn't outputting enough current. This is inline with what Qholic said about the light also coming on for current.

This also means I no longer have any confidence in the auto stores testing.

The good news is, I can now swap out an alternator in about a minute.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Glad to hear your back up and running, I too had the same issue they checked the alternator and said it was good, changed alternator out and all is well. This truck has got to be the easiest alternator I've ever changed out...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qholic View Post
... This truck has got to be the easiest alternator I've ever changed out...
Once I figured out to use a long handled 1/2" ratchet on the tensioner, it was butter. My serpentine belt tool wouldn't fit.

When I took the alternator back to test/swap, I changed it in the parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.