bad alternator? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bad alternator?

the battery light came on this morning as i was getting close to base. it would fade when i started accelerating from traffic/stop light and would brighten as rps went down to idle.

reading from my edge batt volt was arounf 11.8 whether i was idleing or driving. batt volt is normally around 13 volts.

i did a quick check or batt connections when i got on base and nothing out of the ordinary.

i think its a bad alt, however i am underway for a few days so i cant really troubleshoot and i have duty the day i get back.

i am thinking of buying a new alt(having it shipped to a friends house that lives near base) and putting it on when i get off duty.

what alt should i use, i know the stock ones are underpowered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

this was after an hour of driving on the highway, ficm volt never below 48.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know this wont be the most popular choice but when mine went out I went with a Autozone alternator. Has a lifetime warranty was not spendy at all. The kicker was the guy offered to actually replace the himself right their in the parking lot. I didn't take him up on his offer but he told me if the new one ever gave out to take the truck to any store for a free testing and replacement of alternator and batt's. (Id have to buy the batt's of course)
Like I said this wont be the popular route. DC Alt's are gonna be the most suggested,Ive heard they are awesome.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

ended up going with one from advanced auto. i originally ordered a mean green from XDP but they screwed that order up and lost a customer. i am still waiting on a refund from them.

i placed the order and got confirmation and they charged my credit card.
then they refused to ship it due to some sort of security issue, and needed me to call them. i explained i was out at sea and could not call, only email.
i asked them to cancel my order, i got an email saying the order was canceled then i got one saying my credit card was declined (3 days after they already charged me).
i sent them another email asking about my refund and have not heard back from them since.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 AM

I can appreciate them wanting you to call in

I sure as hell wish GE capitol would have called me when they let someone change my address( they don't know how that was done ) and buy thousands of dollars worth of shoes from footlocker and zapoos on my Paypal card

GE Capitol told Me it was a Paypal problem ( luckily it was a conference call and the PayPal rep told them it was all on their end )

but XDP should have fixed that ASAP

glad u got it going

Kiinisoj I bought a preimium autozone alternator with lifetime warranty for my boat ''( typical GM)
but I had to swap housings to the marine spark arrested one from the dead alt

I was shocked to see all the used parts inside that case the only new part was the diodes and bearings I even took some pictures I was so disappointed
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

I could understand them wanting me to call but not after they already charged me. They should have held the order before it was charged not after.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
I could understand them wanting me to call but not after they already charged me. They should have held the order before it was charged not after.
maybe
Devils advocate here
they probably didn't notice the credit card billing address vs your buddies house as the delivery address until it was proceed

IDK ?

still they needed to refund ASAP

Last edited by ZMANN; 04-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

I explained the situation after the first email. Oh well.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PM sent to customer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.