Cb Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
im fat and ugly

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cb Question

im looking to get a cb nothing to high tech just a bacic small cb, ive seen cobra has one and its very sall not sure on the part # but it runs 30-40 bux.

the question i have is about antennas, i want to run 2 antenas on the back bumper by the tail lights, ive sen some that are about 4ft long or so and they would be probably 6-8 inches above the cabis this sufficent to work with that cb? and how do dual antennas hook up , is there a y conector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
To get the best send/recieve signal, your antenna needs to clear the highest point by no less than 1/2 to 2/3 of it's length. So, if your antenna is 4 ft long, about 2-2.5 feet need to clear the top of the cab. Also, the placement of the antenna will effect your reception. If it is nearer the rear of the vehicle, you'll have better reception in front of you and the reverse is true. Your best bet is having the antenna in the middle of the truck, like near the cab, and having the antenna clear the top of the cab by about 2 ft. I have mine mounted on the headache rack. It's a 4 footer and clears the cab by about 3.25 ft.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:33 PM
im fat and ugly

thans for the info, i dont really have much option on the mounting since its an ex, and i really dont want a magnetic antenna, so i might need to get a longer antenna then
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Your better off using one antenna, you won't be able to space 2 of them far enough apart to get good reception. they should be spaced something like 8' apart from each other. I would us a K-40 or a Wilson super trucker they are expensive but worth ever penny, i had 2 4' fiberglass ones on my Peterbilt and switched over to a single supertrucker and i'm gettin atleast 10 times the distance with it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 PM
The Fat Mod

Yeah stump, as I have told ya before, your best bet is a lil wilson mag mount, then you will be set. Throw it on top and you will be good to go.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:42 PM
im fat and ugly

i believ the cb im lookin into is the cobra 19 II, its real small anybody got any comments on it?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cobra 19 is the clasiic "pocket radio" you cant go wrong with it for 30 bux.. \

Please dont put any antenna's on that excursion I beg You.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:57 PM
im fat and ugly

haha, ya got any other options, where i whant to mount it wouldnbarely be noticable
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
If your looking for something just for a trip and your not going to be using it all of the time, you might want to look into the "cell antennas" that use magnetic induction through the glass of a window and look like the old bag phone external antennas. They aren't the best but they DO work. No one will really notice it either. (Just make sure you tune it.) Your best bet with the Excursion is getting a magnetic mount antenna and popping it on the roof. (Ground it well) Having the Excursion, I dunno what to do if you want something permanent. Maybe mounting the antenna on the mirror.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to FatManStroke Send a message via Yahoo to FatManStroke
not sure about the excursion but on my fullsize bronco i ran a finder mount 3ft high, 3/8's width K40 fiberglass whip. the mount bolts to the inside of the finder and has a little platform that the whip rest on. im not sure if im going to go back to that or mount it on the bed of the new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.