Affordable Head Unit or Fix Current Factory Unit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Affordable Head Unit or Fix Current Factory Unit

What are some affordable head units? My current unit is causing some issues when changing radio channels in the rear passenger speaker. When the sound comes back on after seeking it there is a deep sounding glitch noise static noise. Not sure how to fix it or what it is... thoughts?

Otherwise I need to find a unit under 250 that has quite a bit of functionality. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Me again... I got my Pioneer touchscreen on sale from Best Buy, it was a little over 300, but it was also 12 months same as cash. They have a TON of selection and details, even if you don't buy from them. Whatever you buy, be sure to get a wiring harness adapter to fit your plug so when it comes to install time (super easy) you don't have an "Awww, maaann..." moment.
john galt likes this.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Haha... thanks. $300 isn't too bad. I could probably find your's used for the price range I am looking at. I am interested to see how you are going to hook up Torque because I am an iPhone user as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM

What model do you have?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. I considered getting something similar locally on Craigslist, but this one was a step above, and was brand new with a warranty, my Christmas present from my wife. The Torq app is not supported by iPhone. There is something similar out there but has been very costly according to what I read posted by other Org members, unless they used an old android phone with no service after getting the app in the truck and just used it as a Bluetooth monitor.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Here's a couple shots of mine installed. I uploaded a custom wallpaper for the screen just using a thumb / jump USB drive. The small bottom button illumination is infinitely adjustable to match the dash lights, truck color or whatever, and there are several colors to customize the screen theme.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable Head Unit or Fix Current Factory Unit-1396819651902.jpg   Affordable Head Unit or Fix Current Factory Unit-1396819674487.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM

I have a stock 6 CD changer for your truck taking up space. It's been sitting for 5 years. $75 and its yours.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

That's not bad. I need to find one of the factory Pioneer ones for my sister-in-law's Sport Track or get hers fixed. The CD player is crapping out, but it's 12 years old.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU7POINT3 View Post
Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. I considered getting something similar locally on Craigslist, but this one was a step above, and was brand new with a warranty, my Christmas present from my wife. The Torq app is not supported by iPhone. There is something similar out there but has been very costly according to what I read posted by other Org members, unless they used an old android phone with no service after getting the app in the truck and just used it as a Bluetooth monitor.
How were you planning to get Torque App onto your head unit? I knew it wasn't Apple compatible but I thought you were going to link the ELM to your head unit some how. THanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

If the head unit doesn't pick up the Torq using bluetooth (which I kinda doubt it will and in real time) I will probably just plug my android phone into one of the A/V ports using a an HDMI cable to mirror the display onto the head unit screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.