led light bar on roof ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
led light bar on roof ?

Question-how high would you need to mount a led light bar on a head ache rack, above the back of the cab on a 4 door for the light bar to be useful? That's a big ole flat roof to get over!
Im kinda getting the led bug and would like a flood light set up on top and spot type down on the bumper. And Ive never messed with led's so hope this aint a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Yea that takes me back to the days of the big roll bars mounted in the bed with 5 KC lights max pointed forwards. Those things put out light especially the Hella's.

I havnt seen any high output led lights myself. I have a led backup light on a quad trailer but it's not crazy bright. I am sure whatever you do it will need to be high enough not to shadow out from the roof. I can see the lower power draw must be good those old lights needed seperate alts to properly power up KC's etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM

LED light bar options

I've been looking at these as well. The most attractive to me is the curved LED light bars. Some of these have combination spot and flood lights. The floods on the outside edges and spots in the center. That way the unit has a full coverage pattern.

There is even a double row option as well, but the prices are pretty steep.

I looked at the SEMA 2013 site to see what the latest offerings were. I think I'm going to wait a bit to see what the reviews are before I drop that kind of money down for aux lighting.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Yea that takes me back to the days of the big roll bars mounted in the bed with 5 KC lights max pointed forwards. Those things put out light especially the Hella's.

I havnt seen any high output led lights myself. I have a led backup light on a quad trailer but it's not crazy bright. I am sure whatever you do it will need to be high enough not to shadow out from the roof. I can see the lower power draw must be good those old lights needed seperate alts to properly power up KC's etc.
Thats kinda what I was thinking with the big ole kc's as well. But I was kinda wondering if the new fangle light bars were the way to go now days.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmccolley View Post
I've been looking at these as well. The most attractive to me is the curved LED light bars. Some of these have combination spot and flood lights. The floods on the outside edges and spots in the center. That way the unit has a full coverage pattern.

There is even a double row option as well, but the prices are pretty steep.

I looked at the SEMA 2013 site to see what the latest offerings were. I think I'm going to wait a bit to see what the reviews are before I drop that kind of money down for aux lighting.
hmmm I didnt even think about the curved bars! Got any tips on were to look?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Theres a few companies that are making the curved bars; Rigid Industries being the main one. Baja Designs also has one. Even the chinese companies are starting to make them as well...

For a headache mounted bar you would want to go spot....the flood pattern would have a lot of the light cut out of the pattern from the roof. Typically, flood is mounted down lower, spot is mounted up higher...

What year is your truck?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavis View Post
Theres a few companies that are making the curved bars; Rigid Industries being the main one. Baja Designs also has one. Even the chinese companies are starting to make them as well...

For a headache mounted bar you would want to go spot....the flood pattern would have a lot of the light cut out of the pattern from the roof. Typically, flood is mounted down lower, spot is mounted up higher...

What year is your truck?
bulldog lighting also makes them... we can get you rigid, bulldog and even Totron (chinese brand) if your interested....
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Its a 2005. I was figuring the spots would go on top and the floods down on the bumper. I need the floods for the road of course but more to light up the ditch's. Dang ole bambi's are getting thick. And heck last year I dont know how I missed at least 4 bears. NOTE TO HUNTERS -plz come to TRINIDAD COLORADO AND SHOOT BEARS!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
bulldog lighting also makes them... we can get you rigid, bulldog and even Totron (chinese brand) if your interested....
PM sent!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Its a 2005. I was figuring the spots would go on top and the floods down on the bumper. I need the floods for the road of course but more to light up the ditch's. Dang ole bambi's are getting thick. And heck last year I dont know how I missed at least 4 bears. NOTE TO HUNTERS -plz come to TRINIDAD COLORADO AND SHOOT BEARS!
a 20" dual row in the bumper opening puts out some pretty good light. I had a pretty long road trip this past weekend and it worked awesome lighting up the sides of the roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.