Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installed a Parrot Asteroid Smart head unit

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chris-rector 
#1 ·
Ok people I was a skeptic about android head unit buts I received a new Parrot Asteroid Smart Head unit for Christmas finally got time to install it in my truck. At first I thought it was lame due limitations Parrot puts on apps, and their Nav system, but I side loaded the Google Play store and have been amazed at unit. I have loaded many apps on it including Google maps and voice search which allows me to speak into the mic and search the internet and get directions call or text just by talking. It has capabilities to have a back up camera and video out to a monitor for the back seat. Its bluetooth and will run Torque Pro. It allows for 2 blue tooth devices at a time. You can tether your phone to it and use the internet through 3 or 4G LTE
I know I am not tell you everything Oh it also has the outputs for you to run an amp. It sounds great you can use spotify and other music sources. It has 3 regular usb ports and a Apple dongle. It has a mini usb port to hook your laptop to it.
If you are looking for a new stereo I would look at an Android head unit. I will try and do a video

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like it fits in there nicely. I checked out their webpage
Parrot ASTEROID Smart

A couple questions.
I didn't see anywhere on their info page,
Any chance it has adapters to use the steering wheel volume control?
Does it have the ability to play any discs (CD or DVD) natively?
Built in storage.. does it have any?
Have you tried using an external USB hard drive with it?

The only streaming applications that me or my wife use are Netflix and Pandora, have you tried either yet?

Android OS 2.3? Any chance it has an upgrade to a newer version? (current version is 4.4)

I don't normally futz around with sideloading or rooting devices, was it hard to get the normal Android store app onto the device?

My truck has a 6 disc changer, I never play CDs, and I carry a spare Android phone with me to run the Torque App, this might be a nice option to reduce the clutter in my truck. (charging cables, etc)

#3 ·
This might be something to look into. I was debating before of trying to install a Nexus 7 into the dash. To me the old CD/DVD based head units are going the way of the Do-Do. I would rather have something that has internet capabilities. Also, I've been debating trying to figure out a way to create a Wi-Fi hotspot in the truck too.

#4 ·
Answers

A couple questions.
I didn't see anywhere on their info page,
Any chance it has adapters to use the steering wheel volume control?

The Smart has plugin for the steering wheel controls and you can program the buttons to do other things besides what they were intended to do. Also Parrot has a device on their site called the Parrot UNIKA which is another way to bridge the gap between your steering wheel controls and Stereo

Does it have the ability to play any discs (CD or DVD) natively?
As for a CD or DVD the Asteroid Smart has no cd or DVD drive, myself I use music I have on my phone or Pandora and spotify for music also I can use netflix and HBO2go and Comcast to watch most any movie I want. Not to mention youtube and others sites.

Built in storage.. does it have any?
The Smart comes with an 8gb SD card which also is used for their navigation software. Which sucks. This concerned me at first then stumbled on this youtube video the video is not a great quality and the guy is a bit confusing, but he made me see that if he could side load apps onto the stereo I should have no problem.

Have you tried using an external USB hard drive with it? I have not actually install the drive however on the parrot forum. ASTEROID Smart (Page 1) ? Parrot UK Forum they talk about it being possible. I have a 250 gb usb hard drive that I am going to install, I would have done it already but I came down with the Flu and I have been sicker then a dog for over a week now. I will let you know how it goes.

The only streaming applications that me or my wife use are Netflix and Pandora, have you tried either yet? I have been so impressed with the ease of use of the sites you mentioned I have my phone as a mobile Hot spot through sprint so it makes things very fun. On the first I am buying an over head 25 inch Video screen and back up camera to install as well along with ports on the dash for a line in the 3 usb ports the mini usb port and the Apple port. I will add pictures as I get done.

Android OS 2.3? Any chance it has an upgrade to a newer version? (current version is 4.4) When I installed the radio into my truck I did an update to the 2.3.7 ver. and yes its old, however I side loaded google maps and google search along with a bunch of other programs and I have to say they all work great and look and act just like the apps I have on my Samsung note 2. The one game I tryed to laod was Clash of Clans and it did not work. That is so far my only failure.

I don't normally futz around with sideloading or rooting devices, was it hard to get the normal Android store app onto the device? You will have to do as I did and everyone that I have talked with and root the Stereo and side load the App Store. It was easy and took me maybe 10 mins. One person says to do it on a bench before you install it into your truck. I would agree if you have the means.

My truck has a 6 disc changer, I never play CDs, and I carry a spare Android phone with me to run the Torque App, this might be a nice option to reduce the clutter in my truck. (charging cables, etc)The Torque app is avail on Parrots version of the play store out of the box. I dont have the BLUEtooth ODB2 adapter but it does look nice on the Screen. You can also load pictures and backgrounds.
One very cool thing about this Stereo is that it allows 2 blue tooth devices to be connected at the same time. That being said one drawback to having internet on the head unit is if you are using your phone as a hotspot as I am the dual bluetooth is disabled and will only allow one to be paired. I dont find this to be a problem at least not as of right now.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Chris:icon_ford:

#6 ·
My niece has the new Iphone and it works great. Keep in mind that the Smart has a dedicated Apple usb port that is made to charge it as well as tether it. I do not know how much the adapter is to use the steering wheel are first hand as my truck has no such luxury items. LOL how ever I see them at amazon for 90 dollars.

#8 ·
When I got this head unit I also got a Pyle Head unit w/ DVD and I originally was going to sell the parrot and use the Pyle. Then I installed the parrot just to see how it worked. I would tell anyone to use this head unit I love it.....
Let me know what you think

#9 ·
Did you have to purchase an install kit or any special adaptor harness to install on your truck? Or did it already come with everything right out of the box? Just bought one on eBay hasn't arrived yet. Also have you been able to do anything new to it or have any updates on it yet?

#10 ·
no you're going to have to buy an adapter wiring harness this plugs into if the fords wiring harness and then to the stereos wiring harness and also there is a kit that you have to use to install it. You will have probably have to do a little trimming around the edge of the dashboard face, its really easy took me probably 15 minutes to do everything I needed to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.