my av install (06cc XL) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my av install (06cc XL)

So i like a decent system in my truck. I used to be decently big into car audio, my last 2 daily drivers have come from the factory with bose (i don't LOVE bose, I actually don't really like it, but it good enough to not rip it out). Just got the ford with a decently stripped interior, broken cd player and the sound is miserable. This thread will be about how i fix it.

I'll be getting most of my stuff local off CL cause i like to meet as many sketchy people as possible, haggle, and pay cash for my goodies. I have started collecting.

so far i have...

receiver: Kenwood DNX570HD (dvd, nav, ipod, usd, hd radio, bluetooth audio and phone calls, backup camera, ect)

speakers: 3 pair of JBL gto 8608c component speakers (i know i only need 2 pair, just got a spare as it came in the deal

amp: mb quart discus 480 which is 80w RMS x 4 channels at 4 ohm

backup camera: generic CMOS color, night vision waterproof from ebay for $20. I normally wouldn't cheap out here, but I had the same one on my denali for 3 years without issue and the quality isn't half bad

meta dash mount kit and plug adaptor.

The truck is pretty strippie so i don't have to worry about steering wheel controls, I have ford adaptor plug to radio harness almost completely wired up to make the install faster, but i'll probably have to do it in stages since its my DD and my other whips are put away for the winter so i can't take it off the road for an AV install.

so far all i've done is install 1 pair of components in the front door. WOW what a difference already . I've been hearing parts of songs that bose junk has been leaving out for years.

I'll keep this updated, hopefully with some pics of progress as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM

one question i did have, and its probably silly but.....

on the ford adaptor plug (plug that accepts the stock radios plug and wires into mine) there is a wire on there for the amp. Since my truck doesn't have a factory amp (and even if it didn't i wouldn't be useing it after this install) that wire is pointless right?

I have an amp remote comming off of my headunit, but thats just going to my amp(s) like it should, tieing that wire back into the truck via the adaptor plug would just power up the stock amp, or a power antenna (neither of which i have) so i don't see a reason for it, unless ford uses this for something i'm not aware of.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

one question i did have, and its probably silly but.....

on the ford adaptor plug (plug that accepts the stock radios plug and wires into mine) there is a wire on there for the amp. Since my truck doesn't have a factory amp (and even if it didn't i wouldn't be useing it after this install) that wire is pointless right?
Yes, Pointless

I have an amp remote comming off of my headunit, but thats just going to my amp(s) like it should, tieing that wire back into the truck via the adaptor plug would just power up the stock amp, or a power antenna (neither of which i have) so i don't see a reason for it, unless ford uses this for something i'm not aware of.
I will be running amp remote to uplifter switch to turn on/off subs that way. You can use the H/U's remote wire to control amp that way also. Uplifter switches are quick an easy for me tho!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM

cool, thanks for the reply.

i don't have subs yet, but i plan on it, and ill probably just use the remote wire to turn the amp on. I can turn the sub function on or off with my head unit (it wont kill the power to the amp, but it won't send any signal) so i think thats good enough for me. I don't see an issue with the amp being on when the deck is anyways.

i was just making sure ford didn't use the remote for some feature i didn't know about. The truck is pretty new to me so im always learning.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 PM

really leaning towards a kenwood kfc-xw1200f for the sub. Its shallow mount, has very good sensativity (91bd at 1 watt at 1 meter) and a pretty good rms to back it up. Working on a box that will fit it behind the seat. I don't need crazy bass, just enough to fill the music in how it should be. It will be real low with the wife in the truck. Anyone have anything to say about that sub?

Am i fairly limited to building a box? will a standard truck box fit? can anyone recommend a vendor for said box. I'm not affraid to build it (almost prefer to so i know what im getting) but im all in for the easy way out if there is one.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM

ran into a little snag. I went to do the parking brake bypass for the headunit, and the previous owner didn't include the 4 prong plug that theparking brake wire and reverse signal wire are on.

I haven't been able to track one down yet either. Kenwoods online customer serice is pretty poor, they list retailers but i doubt i'll get someone knowledgeable at best buy, but i guess its worth a shot.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check out MicroBypass for the bypass. You should have a purple wire on your stereo wiring harness. MicroBypass relay is about 20.00 and you will not need to access your actual parking brake wire.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM

I understand the bypass 100%. Problem is the parking brake wire is on a separate harness that didn't come with my used headunit. So I need to find a 4 pin plug that will fit so I can wire it up. I thought it would be easy to find online but I've had no luck
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 AM

so still no luck finding the pin anywhere.

BUT radio shack sells single pin connectors so i bought a 12 pack for $5. It looks like they will work out alright so thats good. Hoping to put the deck in for the first time tonight.

truck is my DD so i'll be doing it in stages. So far it has one set of components. I plan to put the deck in, but ill probably have to remove it 5x more times as i add amps, back up camera ect. But i need to minimize downtime and keep it on the road.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM

so i installed the deck. Its not bypassed yet (trying it without to see if i can live with it) and i have only installed some of the features, but its still a whole lot better than the ford deck.

the pandora control is awesome, i really really really like that. The NAV function is MUCH better than the pioneer unit I had in my last truck. HD radio is pretty neat too. I haven't had time to test DVD playback yet, i haven't hooked the backup camera in yet, and I need to buy the kenwood IPOD cable before i open the dash again, but its in there, functioning, and a lot better than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.