Trailer Connector Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer Connector Issues

All,

On the wifey's X, I'm currently unable to get any power to the trailer running lights, brake lights, turn signals (both), constant 12v. I do have power to the reverse lights. There are no blown fuses anywhere in the fuse box and all relays have been tested and are functioning correctly. In the process, I did find a blown fuse for the electronic climate control which, oddly enough, was working intermittently even with a blown fuse.

Any ideas on where else I should be looking to figure out why I have no power to most of the trailer connector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM

are you checking the pins on the plug,or looking at the lights on the trailer itself?,if you have power at the plug,it sounds like a ground problem.when trailers sit a lot,they tend to corrode bad in the electrical areas.pull a couple of bulbs and see it they have any power too.Not much help,but something to think about.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm checking the pins. All lights on the trailer work fine when hooked up to my '03 F-350. Only backup lights from the X. Still can't track down the source as it appears all wiring is intact. This occurred while I was sitting at the horse barn loading up horses. Truck was idling in Park and all lights just went out. All lighting on the X still works fine.

I also don't suspect the trailer as I just rewired it with all water-proof LED lights, have re-checked all connections to ground and ensured there are no exposed wires. All wires in the trailer are crimped, soldered and heat shrunk. The ones I couldn't solder have the heat shrink butt connectors (sts) on them.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 AM

check the back of the plug on the truck,i believe it plugs into a harness.it might have come loose or be corroded?see it it will come apart and see if any power there.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The harness is pretty tight, but I'll take it off and check at the harness to see if the plug is the issue.

Thanks,
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Finally got power back there. Now everything works except the brake lights (blinkers works fine). Turns out that Dark Satin was correct, the plug had worked itself loose for some reason. Pushed it back on and everything worked great (except the brakes)! Also, the brake controller recognized a connected trailer, but wouldn't provide any power to the brakes. I'm assuming the brake light issue and brake controller issue are related, but haven't sat down to figure this one out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.