New batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
FordPSD6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: S Jersey shore
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New batteries

Went to start my truck and dead batteries. So as usual I search the web for the various batteries. Someone had mentioned a 900 CCA Motorcraft battery. I couldn't find one. I usually buy Interstate batteries. But I wasn't happy with the price or warranty. I've never had a battery quit before the warranty but I expected them to offer a better one. Everyone else did. The Diehard battery I wanted wasn't in stock within 75 miles of here. That surprised me. So I decided to look at the Motorcrafts again. I was interested in the BXT-65-850. It had 850 CCA and a reserve time of 150 minutes. Full warranty was 3 years. Beyond that was pro-rated. I called the place where I bought my truck. They wanted $175 for the battery and didn't have it in stock. I called my next closest Ford dealer. He said $109 and they were in stock. I was convinced he was quoting the wrong battery. So I took my 2 dead batteries out and took them down to the dealer who quoted $109. I still had my doubts. He gave me 2 of them. $109 each! Wow. I couldn't believe the price. So if you want Motorcraft batteries shop around or you can ask the dealer for a discount. I was very disappointed in my Ford dealer for the price he wanted. $66 dollar difference is a lot.

2007 F-250 Lariat PSD 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab
FordPSD6.0 is offline  
post #2 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPSD6.0 View Post
Went to start my truck and dead batteries. So as usual I search the web for the various batteries. Someone had mentioned a 900 CCA Motorcraft battery. I couldn't find one. I usually buy Interstate batteries. But I wasn't happy with the price or warranty. I've never had a battery quit before the warranty but I expected them to offer a better one. Everyone else did. The Diehard battery I wanted wasn't in stock within 75 miles of here. That surprised me. So I decided to look at the Motorcrafts again. I was interested in the BXT-65-850. It had 850 CCA and a reserve time of 150 minutes. Full warranty was 3 years. Beyond that was pro-rated. I called the place where I bought my truck. They wanted $175 for the battery and didn't have it in stock. I called my next closest Ford dealer. He said $109 and they were in stock. I was convinced he was quoting the wrong battery. So I took my 2 dead batteries out and took them down to the dealer who quoted $109. I still had my doubts. He gave me 2 of them. $109 each! Wow. I couldn't believe the price. So if you want Motorcraft batteries shop around or you can ask the dealer for a discount. I was very disappointed in my Ford dealer for the price he wanted. $66 dollar difference is a lot.
$110 to $120 each is what I've seen locally. And as you discovered, not all dealerships are priced the same, so it pays to shop around.

2006 CC SB 4x4 6.0L
BPD 6 Phase 53v FICM, EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Bypass Oil Filter & Water Pump
ARP Studs w/ OEM Gaskets
DC Power 190a upper; DB Electric 200a lower alternator
295/65/20 Toyo MTs
PMF 3 Link
7,500LB Tuff Trucks Leveling Coils
Icon 2.5 piggyback CDC shocks
Dynatrac Free Spin Kit with Dynaloc Hubs
EDGE CTS Monitor w/ EGT, pressure, and temp sensors
Blue FPR Spring Kit
Twin F450 Auxiliary Springs
Banks Monster Exhaust
Truetrac rear/E locker Front with 4.11s
skanj0 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
wvrrcarknocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
If this was recently, I would give Ford a call. $175 is more than MSRP, and I suspect Ford will have an issue with that dealership. I understand you probably don't plan to shop there, but charging more than MSRP is probably against some rule that Ford itself has.
wvrrcarknocker is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
FordPSD6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: S Jersey shore
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
$110 to $120 each is what I've seen locally. And as you discovered, not all dealerships are priced the same, so it pays to shop around.
For the 65 size batteries that had 850 CCA they were all in the $140 to $150 range unless you go to the deep cycle AGM batteries which I did consider. But with Ford only charging me $109 I felt I couldn't go wrong with their battery. It had the specs as the others but was much cheaper. By the way Interstate, Diehard, Optima, Duralast, Everstart, Mopar AND Motorcraft are made by Johnson Controls!

2007 F-250 Lariat PSD 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab
FordPSD6.0 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got the Everstart MAXX's at 850 CCA from Wal-Mart. They've got 2 years on them and still holding a float charge of around 12 volts in the cold. I'm gonna see if I can get them warrantied and get a new set though, they are starting to get slightly weak.
The_Auto_Tech is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I put 2 of the walmart batteries in mine,been holding up good so far,Reason I did that was for the warranty,3 years no pro rating, free replacement till then.mine might mysteriously go bad before that?, also walmart is easier to deal with then the local ford dealer too.
Dark Satin 05 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 850 Motorcraft batteries are the way to go!

2006 CC SB 4x4 6.0L
BPD 6 Phase 53v FICM, EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Bypass Oil Filter & Water Pump
ARP Studs w/ OEM Gaskets
DC Power 190a upper; DB Electric 200a lower alternator
295/65/20 Toyo MTs
PMF 3 Link
7,500LB Tuff Trucks Leveling Coils
Icon 2.5 piggyback CDC shocks
Dynatrac Free Spin Kit with Dynaloc Hubs
EDGE CTS Monitor w/ EGT, pressure, and temp sensors
Blue FPR Spring Kit
Twin F450 Auxiliary Springs
Banks Monster Exhaust
Truetrac rear/E locker Front with 4.11s
skanj0 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
FJuanfiddy mod


 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 132
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
I've got the Everstart MAXX's at 850 CCA from Wal-Mart. They've got 2 years on them and still holding a float charge of around 12 volts in the cold. I'm gonna see if I can get them warrantied and get a new set though, they are starting to get slightly weak.
The Everstart MAXXs are the biggest pieces of chit Ive ever put in a truck. 2 sets in 3 years.

SLI65AGMDP Battery - 2003 to 2006 V8 6.0L 750CCA Diesel - F-250 Super Duty Pickup - Ford - Car and Truck - Batteries Plus

This is what I put in about a month ago now. 930cca 5 years free replacement. No prorated BS.

Price tag is 400 for the pair. But at -15 this morning sitting 13 hours overnight and not being plugged in truck cranked like it was running an hour ago

Email: Dave@powerstroke.org
2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/default.asp
http://nolimitfabrication.com/
Dave is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
FordPSD6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: S Jersey shore
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dave I noticed in the part number was an AGM. So that is a deep cycle battery. I considered them. They said they would hold a charge longer meaning they could sit longer without needing a charge. But they also said they didn't give the initial surge to start a car like a wet cell battery. I also didn't see any with the CCA yours has either. I looked that battery up. I wouldn't even know where to buy it. I looked at the Interstate AGM and they were real expensive. I also looked at the Diehard AGM and considered it but changed my mind. $400 for two AGMs with 990 CCAs is darn good.

2007 F-250 Lariat PSD 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab
FordPSD6.0 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-08-2013, 09:08 AM
FJuanfiddy mod


 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 132
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPSD6.0 View Post
Dave I noticed in the part number was an AGM. So that is a deep cycle battery. I considered them. They said they would hold a charge longer meaning they could sit longer without needing a charge. But they also said they didn't give the initial surge to start a car like a wet cell battery. I also didn't see any with the CCA yours has either. I looked that battery up. I wouldn't even know where to buy it. I looked at the Interstate AGM and they were real expensive. I also looked at the Diehard AGM and considered it but changed my mind. $400 for two AGMs with 990 CCAs is darn good.
These have the initial surge to start a vehicle. Its the Deep Cycle Marine batteries that dont.

As to where to buy it Batteries plus stores throughout the US carry it. The price tag is a little steep at 400 for the pair. But its well worth it.

Cranked mine at -15 this morning just like it does when its 70 out

Email: Dave@powerstroke.org
2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/default.asp
http://nolimitfabrication.com/
Dave is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:
FamExc (12-08-2013)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome